[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BakCompat

Dec 11, 2013
My drive tests just completed on the Ladybody drives. So for reference to anyone asking time needed for 8tb disks to complete..
Checking from one of the log files:
Started burn-in of /dev/ada5 : Sun Nov 5 03:58:27 CST 2017
Finished burn-in of /dev/ada5 : Fri Nov 10 19:47:59 CST 2017

So figure about 5 days 16 hours.

Note again that these were conducted with block groups of 256 instead of the default 64. If you do so, you might wish to try an even larger size...

Lord Raven

Nov 23, 2017
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and the world of NAS. Trying to save me some money.

The best buy deal is 8TB for 159$, I was about to buy a pair of WD80EFAX for 400 from eBay. Please suggest, the best buy HDDs are the same or the one made in China with 128MB cache? It will be a great help. Thank you!!!!

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
:eek: 8TB HDD for $130?? what?!? no way!!! don't crawl, don't walk, RUN!!! and it's already sold out! how criminal! :mad: oh wait, that's for the MAC version. the PC version is $160. so do you think they still contain the 8TB WD Reds or not???

Last edited:

keybored

May 28, 2016
:eek: 8TB HDD for $130?? what?!? no way!!! don't crawl, don't walk, RUN!!! (and it's sold out! how criminal! :mad: oh wait, MAC version) PC version is $160.
They may be in stock again tomorrow. It's one of the advertised BF deals at BestBuy. They likely have additional stock online and in stores.

Lord Raven

Nov 23, 2017
Guys, I am eager to know if these Easy Store WDs are WD80EFAX? Please explain. I am an international buyer and will be paying a big shipping cost to get these. Thanks

keybored

May 28, 2016
Guys, I am eager to know if these Easy Store WDs are WD80EFAX? Please explain. I am an international buyer and will be paying a big shipping cost to get these. Thanks
There are two models in existence today. WDBCKA0080HBK-NEBB is the one that periodically goes on sale for $130. This model contains white-label WD80EMAZ drives with a 256MB cache. There are no exceptions to my knowledge. These drives also use the 3.3V SATA power line as a reset signal. As a result, these will not spin up in some PCs and you will need to use a Molex to SATA power adapter or cut/mask the 3.3V line.

Model WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN is $160 when on sale and this one can contain 3 different types of drives -- WD80EFRX (128MB cache), WD80EFAX (256MB cache), and WD80EMAZ (256MB cache). The first two are proper red-label NAS drives. The last one is the same white-label drive they put in WDBCKA0080HBK-NEBB.
Without physically inspecting the package and looking at serial numbers, you will not be able to ensure that you're going to get a red-label drive.

Reactions: risty

Lord Raven

Nov 23, 2017
I found my answer :) If it is made in Thailand, it is 256MB cache, and I lost the 129$ best buy deal. Thank you very much :D

Lord Raven

Nov 23, 2017
THANK YOU so much. I think if the drive is Made in Thailand, it is definitely going to be one of the two you mention WD80EFRX (128MB cache), WD80EFAX (256MB cache).

I am going to use these drives in Microserver Hp Proliant Gen10, will it be possible? Does it have TLER? The error recovery mechanism required for RAID? Please tell me, I am going to order the 159$ ones tonight. I would save some money and spend it on shipping charges.

There are two models in existence today. WDBCKA0080HBK-NEBB is the one that periodically goes on sale for $130. This model contains white-label WD80EMAZ drives with a 256MB cache. There are no exceptions to my knowledge. These drives also use the 3.3V SATA power line as a reset signal. As a result, these will not spin up in some PCs and you will need to use a Molex to SATA power adapter or cut/mask the 3.3V line.

Model WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN is $160 when on sale and this one can contain 3 different types of drives -- WD80EFRX (128MB cache), WD80EFAX (256MB cache), and WD80EMAZ (256MB cache). The first two are proper red-label NAS drives. The last one is the same white-label drive they put in WDBCKA0080HBK-NEBB.
Without physically inspecting the package and looking at serial numbers, you will not be able to ensure that you're going to get a red-label drive.

keybored

May 28, 2016
THANK YOU so much. I think if the drive is Made in Thailand, it is definitely going to be one of the two you mention WD80EFRX (128MB cache), WD80EFAX (256MB cache).

I am going to use these drives in Microserver Hp Proliant Gen10, will it be possible? Does it have TLER? The error recovery mechanism required for RAID? Please tell me, I am going to order the 159$ ones tonight. I would save some money and spend it on shipping charges.
To my knowledge, country of origin may not be a good indicator. I don't know if these drives, especially the white-label ones, will be compatible with your server. Folks seem to believe that even the white-label drives have TLER on them, but I don't have any of those myself and cannot confirm.

Lord Raven

Nov 23, 2017
So, in case of any of the three drives mentioned above, I do have a chance with my micro-server. I am asking this question to the BB guys, they have put me on hold. BB guys told me this does not have TLER. My guess is that they don't know what I am going to do with it. I asked one eBay seller and he told me that white drive has TLER. I still am not sure. Let's see, the price is still better at 159$.

To my knowledge, country of origin may not be a good indicator. I don't know if these drives, especially the white-label ones, will be compatible with your server. Folks seem to believe that even the white-label drives have TLER on them, but I don't have any of those myself and cannot confirm.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
So, in case of any of the three drives mentioned above, I do have a chance with my micro-server. I am asking this question to the BB guys, they have put me on hold. BB guys told me this does not have TLER. My guess is that they don't know what I am going to do with it. I asked one eBay seller and he told me that white drive has TLER. I still am not sure. Let's see, the price is still better at 159$.

If you get an answer for this I will eat my shoe. The chance of any best buy employee, let alone a phone support tech, getting that deep of info about some USB hard drive that you will end up shucking is going to be glorious.

You have a better chance in going to reddit's /r/datahoarder and asking.

Lord Raven

Nov 23, 2017
You're right. BB sucked for me. They charged my credit card for two 8TB drives each 159$, and canceled my order saying that they could not verify my details on the credit card. I lost money and I am sure I will never be able to buy from them again.

If you get an answer for this I will eat my shoe. The chance of any best buy employee, let alone a phone support tech, getting that deep of info about some USB hard drive that you will end up shucking is going to be glorious.

You have a better chance in going to reddit's /r/datahoarder and asking.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
in for two - of the $130 Ones - was able to buy and pay online in two separate transactions - limit 1 per person it says. But i was did the two purchases and that worked. Available for pickup later today and they will hold till Wed. I am certainly not going there today to pickup.