[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
FML they aren't shipping anymore, I guess I'll have to check back every so often. People were claiming they go in and out of stock on the website.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I honestly don't need these drives. I have 6TB's in a 48TB array that is not even 1/3 full. I'm trying to justify buying these wonderful things but I don't have a NEED.

UGH.
Since when do we have to justify the purchase? Nobody told me that.

I had more of them in my cart before and talked myself out of it because I don't need them.. yet..

I'm so proud of the restraint I showed that I might reward myself with some new 8TB Reds. That's justification right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016

I had more of them in my cart before and talked myself out of it because I don't need them.. yet..

I'm so proud of the restraint I showed that I might reward myself with some new 8TB Reds. That's justification right?

o_O WD loves your logic. American Express loves your Logic. If only I could get those 2 to talk without involving me that'd be grand :D

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
o_O WD loves your logic. American Express loves your Logic. If only I could get those 2 to talk without involving me that'd be grand :D
I honestly have a hard time resisting these at that price. From the 17 I got last time plus the 12 out of the 16TB Duos the week prior, I've transferred 140TB onto them. So I still got plenty of room for the next year or two. And the other user is correct, In a couple of years when I need the space the 10TB drives would be much lower priced and we may have substantially larger drives out in the wild.

But I would agree, it tough to pass up this pricing no matter what the reason.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016

This is exactly what I had in mind :p:D

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I honestly have a hard time resisting these at that price. From the 17 I got last time plus the 12 out of the 16TB Duos the week prior, I've transferred 140TB onto them.
Seven..****ing...teen.

I can't even fathom that much data one would need to horde on there. I'm having a hard enough time filling up my 40TB. Yes I am trying damnitt! :mad:o_O

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Seven..****ing...teen.

I can't even fathom that much data one would need to horde on there. I'm having a hard enough time filling up my 40TB. Yes I am trying damnitt! :mad:o_O
You'd be shocked how many funny cat videos there are out there.. haha

Mine is all media consisting of movies/tv shows. I don't compress anything with storage being as cheap as it is nowadays. Don't mean that in a sarcastic way, storage is expensive but compared to years past, it's much cheaper these days. So although I do convert all the Blu Ray disk images (ISO) to MKV, I never re encode to a lower quality format. So a Blu Ray TV series can literally be over a TB.

Half of mine is the backup. So I have roughly 70TB of media and a identical 70TB backup in a separate chassis.

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
Was able to sneak an order in for 3 more to be shipped, trying to place any other orders though try to force me to do ship to store :(

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
from the last batches of 18 8TB drives, I've received $65 in bestbuy rewards, $35 I've already spent. I could use the $30 for another 8TB to get it for $150.... oh soooo tempting...

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
While we are at it: WD Adds Helium-Filled 10 TB NAS HDDs to WD Red, WD Red Pro Lineups

So the new 8 and 10TB Helium filled drives are using just above 6W. That's really awesome.
I've not checked, but i assume this thread's Reds are NOT Helium filled and use well over 11W on usage?

12TB drives are being released now and 16TB drives will be available next year: Seagate Announces Enterprise Capacity 12 TB HDD: 2nd-Gen Helium-Filled Hard Drives
This will put price pressure on 8TB and 10TB models. By the time you actually need to upgrade due to space constraints, $180 might be standard pricing for 8TB models and 10TB drives will be in the low-to-mid $200s.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I bit the bullet. I went in on the REDs 8TB. I was using 4TB purple drives in my RAID and realized that this is a 'bad' idea. I pulled all those drives out and moved them to hitachi's 6TB.

This left me with my 5 bay USB drive with no disks in it. Well what am I supposed to do as I live by the law of 3 backups. I need 5 drives, where else am I going to get them.

At least I'll get some Best Buy points...

PS. I hate you all.
PPS. Maybe OP more than most
PPPS. Best buy is evil
PPPPS Need more Linux ISOs

Reactions: Craash

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I bit the bullet. I went in on the REDs 8TB. I was using 4TB purple drives in my RAID and realized that this is a 'bad' idea. I pulled all those drives out and moved them to hitachi's 6TB.

This left me with my 5 bay USB drive with no disks in it. Well what am I supposed to do as I live by the law of 3 backups. I need 5 drives, where else am I going to get them.

At least I'll get some Best Buy points...

PS. I hate you all.
PPS. Maybe OP more than most
PPPS. Best buy is evil
PPPPS Need more Linux ISOs
The struggle is real!!

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Here's a question for all those who got them: When do they ship? When do you get notified? I figured best buy would have shipped to store pretty much immediately.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Mine were shipped to my home and some shipped the same day while the rest shipped the next business day. Of course when I bought they were offering the free 2 day shipping.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I had 2 ship today and the other 3 should be in the store on Saturday.

Anyone had any problems with Ship2Store? I only did this due to needing a different address to buy over the QTY 3 limit.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I had 2 ship today and the other 3 should be in the store on Saturday.

Anyone had any problems with Ship2Store? I only did this due to needing a different address to buy over the QTY 3 limit.
I've had issues with Ship2Store with one of my orders. Out of 3 drives only 1 was shipped and the other 2 were cancelled with some weird reason. I had to open a dispute with amex to get a refund.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Mine are almost here too ! I bought them used from an ebay seller !

Hopefully they will be the HGST He ones ! I will update asap !