[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I'm talking about the BB deal case. and yeah my clips are on the back side as well.
I dont have my case near by so i am improvising on the image.

The red area on the pic both top and bottom is where i started with the flat head screwdriver, i get a little started then put the flat automotive pry tool in and leave it there, then i start the other side using the same process. Once both are in there just gently push on pry tool to wide the size of the gap, do i on both sides evenly then the tabs in the back will unclip "pop" out, then its just sliding the unit out in the direction of the blue arrows.

Again that is what worked for me, and i got two perfect cases that way. I didnt try it with a card the first time so that is why i didnt try going in from the back side where the usb is with these sets.

upload_2017-4-28_14-46-42.png

golfleep

Mar 21, 2017
Got the four 8TB drives I ordered yesterday, no problems getting the drives out with the clips intact thanks to all the info in this thread! Only bummer was that two drives are from China, two from Thailand. Are the reliability issues with the China made drives something that's been documented/tested somewhere?

Got the drives undergoing testing as we speak...

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Got the four 8TB drives I ordered yesterday, no problems getting the drives out with the clips intact thanks to all the info in this thread! Only bummer was that two drives are from China, two from Thailand. Are the reliability issues with the China made drives something that's been documented/tested somewhere?

Got the drives undergoing testing as we speak...
atleast you got 2, i got all 4 from china, they probably all die at the same time lol :(

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
No idea. I had seven 3 tb drives in this rig before manf. in 2011 that were nowhere near this quick. Individually each 8tb drive was showing about 180-200.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
180-200 is what I have seen from other reviews on a single disk. When you pack 8tb onto a disk that is a lot of bits moving under the read/write heads on every rotation. The higher the data density the higher the sequential speeds are. Move to random read/writes that density doesn't help as much.

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
I could see 600-700 in those benches since a 1 out of 4 drives is used for parity. But 900+ was really unexpected. I do have all the write back functions and write back policy enabled. No cachecade or bbu installed.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Yeah that's some really impressive write performance that made me think it was all cached result.
According to Understanding RAID Performance at Various Levels - StorageCraft, the write performance of RAID 5 is NX/4. So (4 x 200 ) / 4 = 200.
So i'm very surprised you were able to achieve this level of performance. Hmm, how is this possible without cache?

EDIT: is this the controller Amazon.com: LSI LOGIC MegaRAID SAS 9270-8i Storage Controller LSI00326: Computers & Accessories?
It seems to have 1GB DDRIII cache (1333 MHz) cache. Are you sure it's not playing in here?

Last edited:

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Look's like just on the 8TB drives, unless I'm missing something on the 4TB.

formgen

Feb 27, 2017
More drives ordered, at 12 8tb now. I must stop myself unless it goes lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk