[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
This deal is back again, I m tempted now... Must resist...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I also saw on Reddit where peeps buying these are now getting a different model #, different label (still a 8TB Red) and 256MB cache compared to the 128MB we got last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Bought 9, getting them shipped in. If they are the Helium drives that's fine with me. Both are supported with modern RAID controller cards, both run the same NAS firmware, and both are 5400 rpm.

Best buy makes you order them 3 at a time. Stupid artifical limit.

If they cancel 2 of them I'm still OK.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
The WD 8TB are all helium drives. I was referring to the fact that some are getting these easystore enclosures with the newer model 8TB Red with more cache, 256MB vs 128MB, that we were all getting before. I wasn't ever saying they were NOT Reds or NOT helium drives.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The WD 8TB are all helium drives. I was referring to the fact that some are getting these easystore enclosures with the newer model 8TB Red with more cache, 256MB vs 128MB, that we were all getting before. I wasn't ever saying they were NOT Reds or NOT helium drives.

I was aware that there was some problem ages ago regarding helium vs. non-HE drives in RAID enclosures. I'm glad that's sorted out and we are getting upgraded RED drives then.

How in the name of Sky Raptor Jesus is WD making money on these?

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
I was aware that there was some problem ages ago regarding helium vs. non-HE drives in RAID enclosures. I'm glad that's sorted out and we are getting upgraded RED drives then.

How in the name of Sky Raptor Jesus is WD making money on these?

Clearing out inventory perhaps ? Maybe they made too many of these enclosures and arent moving any ? Or maybe we're all just overpaying for WD red's from the get go ?

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I just bought three and tried to get all Thailand drives but ended up with one China. The China one has a WD80EFZX drive (with 128MB cache), but the Thailand drives have a WD80EFAX with 256MB cache. I might return the China one and go to another Best Buy to find a Thailand drive to get the extra cache (not that I would really notice it)

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Me and my OCD :(

I drove for 4 hours to Portland and back to try and find one more Thailand drive and every Best Buy is either out of stock or only had one or two China drives left. The manufacture date on the EFAX drives I got is literally last week, while the EFZX drive is the beginning of May, so based on the low inventory around here, hopefully new stock will arrive and it will be more Thailand EFAX drives.

I guess the tip is: If you want the new WD80EFAX drives with 256MB cache, make sure you get Thailand drives (indicated on the bottom of the box)

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
@RyC thanks for your valuable info and time spent drive so long chasing newer drives.
I ordered 2 disks last night CEST for pick in NC and it showed "low in stock" or something, while checking today, it just shows "Available today".
Could be hope that stocks are refreshed today then?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Can anyone give me a SOLID reason that the extra 128mb of cache matters? I won't be running these disks in anything outside of a normal NAS/Plex setup and for the life of me can't see that 'stressing' about a lack of 128mb extra RAM on my disk is going to matter a hill of beans.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
It really shouldn't matter. Heck, I bought 3 and don't even need them/won't use them so it really doesn't make a difference in my case lol.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Can anyone give me a SOLID reason that the extra 128mb of cache matters? I won't be running these disks in anything outside of a normal NAS/Plex setup and for the life of me can't see that 'stressing' about a lack of 128mb extra RAM on my disk is going to matter a hill of beans.
Just my OCD to have everything be the "same" model :)

I'm using these purely for video storage too so I'm sure the cache doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
yes. Thailand drives are making 256mb cache. Chinese are 128mb. Beyond that it's probably Thai drives were Western Digital Proper while the Chinese are Hitatchi's.
Thanks Churchill.

It is rather ironic that we all want the Thailand over the Chinese, but in general HGST/Hitachi has been considered better than WD, prior to the WD acquisition of HGST.