De-lidded CPU on Tyan S7012

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I'm trying to finalize a long going project waiting to be completed. The problem is that my initial CPUs are de-lidded ones and can't be used directly on a tyan s7012gm4nr. I also have lidded CPUs (Xeon X5670), but i need start with E5520 since i might need to upgrade BIOS prior to using X5670 on this board. I don't wanna mess around with my final X5670s.

My question is: can i use copper shim/pad to fill the 2mm (based on some research on the web) to fill the gap? The heatsink is an SM SNK-P0038P and it's inside an SM CSE-826 chassis.

Here are some more pics: OwnDrive

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Damn, that was cheap. I have a shipping on hold from US to me so i've ordered one to be shipped together with the others.
So no need to buy shims for this purpose.
FYI, these are from Mac Pro 4.1 and until 32nm tech they seem to use de-lidded CPUs. I guess it's better for heat dissipation than those with IHS?

But i do also have a couple Xeon X5570 that are also de-lidded, so would be nice to know some more details as to dimensions of shims to order/use. But this one has very low priority though :)

Last edited: