EU [DE] Fujitsu Futro S920 -> ~30€!!!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I wanted to call this the STH Effect too, but I think that would be a stretch, lol.

Before you go and order up a bunch, take a look at the thread as it has links to the motherboard manual and a bunch of other info that might help you find additional details that will be useful for your setup. :) Or a dealbreaker that will save you money and headache. :D
I have gone through it - and I think I will pass - if I buy one, it will be the 4 core version - but its fun to build stuff with these small boxes.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have gone through it - and I think I will pass - if I buy one, it will be the 4 core version - but its fun to build stuff with these small boxes.
The 424cc is a great processor for that era although it does pale in comparison to the j5005 and other modern processors for the power and single thread performance:

Still, if you're looking for price/performance ratio, they can be a great value at the right price. :) I love mine.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
The sell them in there own Store for 30€ to: Fujitsu Futro S920 ThinClient AMD 2.20GHz CPU 4GB RAM 8GB SSD mit Netzteil ohne Fuß - Piospartslap
Well... + Shipping who is include on Ebay. I also got Cashback on Ebay so I am under the Price of the Homepage.
The dual core is quite snappy for the era:
Well it depend what someone want to do with. In my case beside of the Android the other should do just one task 24/7.

The think who is damn impressiv is since offer the Mainboard on the "open Market" the Bios is "unlocked" and allow me to set the same or even more Parameter than other Brands. For the Android I set the Video Memory to 2GB who is impressiv! and its even more other Device offer. In addition many other Thinclients dont have an 2nd Ram Module Slot and not talk about the exposed PCI-E Slot who is fast enough for the most task.

EDIT: Can I put in a 4cm x 4cm Noctua into the Case (without drilling) ?
I dont have them next to me right now. Over the thumb the hight maybe is enogh...

Last edited:

aeg

May 6, 2019
If a weaker CPU is OK, they also have the S720 on their webshop for 22€ shipped or on eBay for 23€ shipped:

Beware that the S720 has no slot for a riser card. The chassis has a slot cover, but there is no connector on the mainboard.

Reactions: Samir

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
In case you guys missed it about two weeks ago the seller piospartslap on ebay.de listed the Fujitsu Futro S740 (J4105, 8GB RAM, 16 GB SSD) for 62€. Offers of 50€ were accepted and a Promocode "PROMORESTORE22" could be applied for a total of 45,90€. They still have listings, give it a try maybe it still works. They also have listings for lots of 10.

I know 46€ is 50% than the 30€ for a S920, but here you get a much newer CPU with more performance in a similar package. Just might suite your needs better.

Just FYI, I'm not affiliated with the store in any way.

Cheers!

• Love

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I know 46€ is 50% than the 30€ for a S920, but here you get a much newer CPU with more performance in a similar package. Just might suite your needs better.
The CPU is better for sure, but it lacks the pcie-slot the other has, so it has less expansion options unfortunately - 940 would be the equivelant with regards to expansion - but the prices for those are much higher - so if expansion is needed, a dell wyse 5070 extended is cheaper

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
In case you guys missed it about two weeks ago the seller piospartslap on ebay.de listed the Fujitsu Futro S740 (J4105, 8GB RAM, 16 GB SSD) for 62€. Offers of 50€ were accepted and a Promocode "PROMORESTORE22" could be applied for a total of 45,90€. They still have listings, give it a try maybe it still works. They also have listings for lots of 10.

Just FYI, I'm not affiliated with the store in any way.

Cheers!
Is it me or does the S940 look like it has provisions for a PCIe slot (or maybe it already does? I don't know, I need to see a teardown) The S9010 would be my choice for a Futro...but I am not sure how the pricing works then...

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Is it me or does the S940 look like it has provisions for a PCIe slot? The S9010 would be my choice for a Futro...but I am not sure how the pricing works then...
It does have a pcie slot - which is why I mentioned that its more similar to the s920.
But its much more expensive than the s920, and also much more expensive than e.g. Dell wyse 5070 that has similar cpu and expansion if you buy the extended version.

cBorisa

Sep 30, 2022
Is it me or does the S940 look like it has provisions for a PCIe slot? The S9010 would be my choice for a Futro...but I am not sure how the pricing works then...
Correct, 940 has PCIe slot, 740 - doesn't. So you can't have multiple NICs
740 itself has also only one RAM DDR4 slot (which supports 16Gb, although officially only 8). And it has only one slot for SSD.
You can use 740 like a small server, but for connectivity you get 2 USB 3.0 on the front and 4 USB2 on the back, which limits its usage. I use it currently as my docker host for various apps (Homeassistant, Omada controller, Plex etc.)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Correct, 940 has PCIe slot, 740 - doesn't. So you can't have multiple NICs
740 itself has also only one RAM DDR4 slot (which supports 16Gb, although officially only 8). And it has only one slot for SSD.
You can use 740 like a small server, but for connectivity you get 2 USB 3.0 on the front and 4 USB2 on the back, which limits its usage. I use it currently as my docker host for various apps (Homeassistant, Omada controller, Plex etc.)
Okay, so the S740 is essentially like the Wyse 5070 "thin", with the exception that the 5070 has 2 RAM slots instead of one, and a back-to-back M.2 slot layout (SSD on one side, Wifi/BT on the other). How easy is the S740 internal to work with? Let's say you route a PCIe x1 extender out to a MiniPCIe adapter, any nice places to ziptie things? I mean, we could run something like this and get 2 extra ports....

cBorisa

Sep 30, 2022
Okay, so the S740 is essentially like the Wyse 5070 "thin", with the exception that the 5070 has 2 RAM slots instead of one, and a back-to-back M.2 slot layout (SSD on one side, Wifi/BT on the other). How easy is the S740 internal to work with? Let's say you route a PCIe x1 extender out to a MiniPCIe adapter, any nice places to ziptie things? I mean, we could run something like this and get 2 extra ports....
S740 doesn't have an attachement for the ports holder. So there is no place to put the extender out.
Although S740 has a nicer CPU comparing to S920, I wouldn't try to use it as a firewall due to lack of network interfaces. As a basic server it's good though