EU [DE] Fujitsu Futro S920 -> ~30€!!!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Can someone recommend a Linux Distribution for Desktop usage?
What does everyone here who own them use them with?
I would like run some Software sadly I dont know much about Linux.
I would check Fujitsu's web site for their stock images. Those work really well.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Well I drive insane!

Code:
FUJITSU FUTRO S920
BIOS
Version
BIOS Date: 08/13/18 11:49:00 Ver: 04.06.05
Datum
Mainboard
Hersteller
FUJITSU
Modell
D3313-G1
Version
S26361-D3313-G1
Betriebssystem
Ausgabe
Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB (64-Bit)
Version (Build)
Nicht bekannt
This Wifi Card:

I also use the often recommend Riser Card:

So I try to install the Intel Win driver and Software and what happen? The say the .net not Work with IoT...
Ok ok ok after some hour I got some different .net Version installed and now Intel complain the need a dedicated Win Version... o_O...
So neider BT (connect via internal USB) or Wifi (PCI-E) not working...
Well the other (not HW related) Software thankfully not complain on my (I got 3 in total :p) who is the sleeping room Pc I install some good old Games from the early 2000 and the run perfect (with 2GB Video Memory).

Any idea before I shredder the Card?
Thanks

anything1233

Just a Member
Dec 29, 2020
I got 740 as well, now trying to solder SATA, Ethernet and fan and power connectors.

it does require some soldering (both the port and 4 capacitors)
Which caps are these and what size? Also, seems like a lot of components are missing, caps, resistors, inductors, some ICs...what about them? Do you have any schematics by chance? I couldn't find anything. As for the SATA connectors, did you use something like Molex 67800-8005?
1667296950005.png
And the same questions for the Ethernet port – seems like there are ton of components missing. Is it possible to do it without any schematics? Or purely by Intel i210 datasheet/similar i210 schematics online? And the BIOS question: if after soldering it's not recognized, is it be possible to flash D3544-S bios on 740?

Also, have you tested an NVMe drive together with SATA? In the Futuro D3544-S datasheet there is a note:
M.2 (SATA mode only) is shared with SATA port 1
If I understand correctly, then if m.2 port is used as SATA, then only 1 out of 2 soldered SATA can be used. But if NVMe is used, then I suppose both SATA ports can be used?

The other m.2 slot for the wifi is a+e and i've tried running an ethernet a+e from that port and even though it does power on it does not seem to be detected when the OS is booted.
You've tried something like i210 on m.2 a+e key? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003931556191.html Anyway, the datasheet specifically lists Intel 9260, I guess it's locked on it. If it's indeed an enforced whitelist, then you can probably try patching bios, if you have an SPI programmer, but I'm not sure if it's cryptographically signed. But from the article, seems like (in case of Lenovo) they actually stop the boot process and print "Unauthorized Wireless network card is plugged in", so it will be harder to find it in Fujitsu. I'll try to do it on the weekend, should search for something like 'wwan/wlan lock':
1667314634663.png
I had a very similar issue with HP Elitedesk – the NIC just doesn't show up, even though it's powered on, and no warnings during boot.

Last edited:

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Can someone recommend a Linux Distribution for Desktop usage?
What does everyone here who own them use them with?
I would like run some Software sadly I dont know much about Linux.
Manjaro Linux is my choice for a Desktop distribution.

Guillem

Nov 13, 2017
I got 740 as well, now trying to solder SATA, Ethernet and fan and power connectors.

Which caps are these and what size? Also, seems like a lot of components are missing, caps, resistors, inductors, some ICs...what about them? Do you have any schematics by chance? I couldn't find anything. As for the SATA connectors, did you use something like Molex 67800-8005?
The ethernet is a far more complex process. You will not only need to add many caps, ethernet connector and some resistors, but also the i210 chip. It is doable and I will most certainly attempt it.

For the caps, those are DC blocking caps for SATA lines. Based on what I found online, anything around the 10-100nF should work. Most docs I found seem to lean towards 10nF, which if memory does not fail me is what I used.

The SATA connector is a tricky one. I have not been able to identify the original part. It has weird off-centered supports on the sides that do not match the usual SATA connectors you find online. That molex part may be correct but I'm having trouble finding a CAD drawing of it to verify if it is a perfect match. Other standard connectors will fit applying some additional force, but they then end up slightly angled (3-5º) instead of perfectly square with the other components, which may not suit somebody with a bit of an OCD :)

And the same questions for the Ethernet port – seems like there are ton of components missing. Is it possible to do it without any schematics? Or purely by Intel i210 datasheet/similar i210 schematics online? And the BIOS question: if after soldering it's not recognized, is it be possible to flash D3544-S bios on 740?
Indeed, for the ethernet there are a ton of components missing. For SATA, on one of the ports is just 4 caps; for the other you need to move some resistors as well as add the caps and also a chip I think, but still trying to figure that out. As for the flash I do not think the D3544-S flash will work, but the i210 chip is just interfacing via pci-e so as long as there is no block on the bios it will probably work although it will not show in the bios menus itself. It will work as an addon card.

Also, have you tested an NVMe drive together with SATA? In the Futuro D3544-S datasheet there is a note:

If I understand correctly, then if m.2 port is used as SATA, then only 1 out of 2 soldered SATA can be used. But if NVMe is used, then I suppose both SATA ports can be used?
Yes, according to the D3544-S you can have both a SATA and and NVMe together, what does not work is using the B+M slot as SATA and then installing a SATA drive. the B+M slot will take preference. But that slot is also an NVMe x1 slot (i've tested it) so you can get an NVMe drive working there if you find a B+M one (not so easy...)

You've tried something like i210 on m.2 a+e key? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003931556191.html Anyway, the datasheet specifically lists Intel 9260, I guess it's locked on it. If it's indeed an enforced whitelist, then you can probably try patching bios, if you have an SPI programmer, but I'm not sure if it's cryptographically signed. But from the article, seems like (in case of Lenovo) they actually stop the boot process and print "Unauthorized Wireless network card is plugged in", so it will be harder to find it in Fujitsu. I'll try to do it on the weekend, should search for something like 'wwan/wlan lock':
View attachment 25126
I had a very similar issue with HP Elitedesk – the NIC just doesn't show up, even though it's powered on, and no warnings during boot.
I've tried an i210 on the a+e key and it does not work. It does not show or complain at all. Lights on the card do power on, but the card itself does not show on lspci on linux for example. My thinking is that that specific PCIe port may be locked to a WWAN/WLAN (not sure why vendors keep doing this crap...).

Patching the BIOS is fairly easy (I've done some checking on that already). The problem as you're saying is getting it to install on the S740, which I have not yet been able to accomplish, although to be fair I have not spent a lot of time on it either.