DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
DDR4 price is still high due to the fact that you can use them for so many intel and amd systems up til fairly recently

serverhardware

Feb 5, 2024
Yes, there has been a huge increase in memory price the last month. The demand is a lot larger than the supply.
Do you know why? what was so specific for last month? I had to refuse from plans to have 128GB 3200 modules and switch searches to 64GB ones because 128GB got crazy price tags, sometimes 2-3 times more than 2x64GB

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
There's a trend toward switching from cloud providers to your own hardware, seems like it started around 2023 and is still a thing. This could be one possible reason for these price hikes: companies were selling their own hardware and switching to the cloud, hence the prices kept going down so rapidly in the recent years, but not anymore - cloud is losing its appeal to many businesses in the current market. And I think 3200 MHz memory is still plenty relevant for most production loads, it's not like you're looking for 2400 MHz memory from the Broadwell era, there are just not many good reasons to sell 3200 sticks at a good discount, especially those huge 128 GB sticks.

Reactions: linuxmanbg

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
There's a trend toward switching from cloud providers to your own hardware, seems like it started around 2023 and is still a thing. This could be one possible reason for these price hikes: companies were selling their own hardware and switching to the cloud, hence the prices kept going down so rapidly in the recent years, but not anymore - cloud is losing its appeal to many businesses in the current market. And I think 3200 MHz memory is still plenty relevant for most production loads, it's not like you're looking for 2400 MHz memory from the Broadwell era, there are just not many good reasons to sell 3200 sticks at a good discount, especially those huge 128 GB sticks.
Considering ever tightening legislation it doesn't surprise me most (mega)corps are going back to their own hardware.