Datto Xeon D 1541 board -- $501.15 shipped + 6/8% ebay bucks for some

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
*edit*

Was able to flash to IT mode with the following commands via DOS boot:

(DOS):
sas3flsh -o -e 6
sas3flsh -o -f <firmware> -b <bios>
sas3flsh -b <UEFI BSD firmware>

Last edited:

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
RTM was right! My problem with booting the board was that I had 1 standoff too many behind the board. I just followed what the Define R6 showed as microatx standoffs, and that didnt match the D-1541 board.

Now all is fine, BIOS updated and 3008 flashed to IT mode. Time to install ESXi :D

Thanks a lot :)

Reactions: RTM

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
*edit*

Was able to flash to IT mode with the following commands via DOS boot:

(DOS):
sas3flsh -o -e 6
sas3flsh -o -f <firmware> -b <bios>
sas3flsh -b <UEFI BSD firmware>
Confirmed! I also did this as per Broadcom (LSI) documentation. worked!

Reactions: Dark

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
For the record, I am pretty sure the IPMI with the Datto firmware will do some phoning home (I deleted the PCAP though, so I can't remember exactly how), so it might be worth it to put the asrock ipmi firmware on it in stead (at your own risk of course ;) ), at least that got rid of it for me.

Reactions: techtoys and Dark

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
TierraTek. Definitely on the pricier side but I couldn't source anything else. I went with the 500w + 2.5" add on version.

In Win Development MS08-S500.H.He D2 In Win 8-bay 12G Micro-ATX StoragTower w/ 500W power supply with 2.5inch HDD HS Module
Need more info on this build. MOAR PICS PLEASE !!!!
I've been really looking forward to actual build/videos of this Case. I think this would be better than the Unas-810a even though its slightly bigger. 10x ssd's that are hot swappable.. zomg !

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Need more info on this build. MOAR PICS PLEASE !!!!
I've been really looking forward to actual build/videos of this Case. I think this would be better than the Unas-810a even though its slightly bigger. 10x ssd's that are hot swappable.. zomg !
Really happy with it so far, very well built. The Noctua NF-R8 redux 1800rpm fans may be just enough at 100% fan speed. The 500w included powersupply has a fairly loud fan.

Pictured with a Quadro P2000 and Intel 900P 280GB.

Did some Storage Spaces testing with an all flash array (12x 2TB 850 Pro), reads were good but writes were (in typical storage spaces fashion) poor. Unfortunately I could not get it to use the Optane drive as cache without going S2D -- even when I marked all the 850 Pros as HDD and left the 900P as SSD.
Performance wasn't much different with FreeNAS with the exception of ~1GBps writes thanks to the 900P as a cache.

(Server 2019 - Storage Spaces 12x 2TB SSD with 2x parity)
ss_12SSD.png

IMG_0125.jpg

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Windows Storage spaces is pretty much a let down for me. I tried so much to make it work :-(
S2D was not any better. The write performance was basically terrible on a 6 node mix of HGST slc drives and intel ssds+1tb hdds.
But that MS08 oh man oh man oh man !!!
Thanks so much @Dark THAT looks AWESOME !
Any chance you can post a video of it working ??
Curious to hear how that Powersupply sounds. Did you try swapping out the fans on the drive cage ?

Reactions: Dark

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Curious to hear how that Powersupply sounds. Did you try swapping out the fans on the drive cage ?
I'll see if I can get a good clip of the PSU fan noise.

I swapped all 4 internal fans out with the Noctuas I listed earlier, but with the cage fans plugged in to the backplanes (even when jumpered to 100%) they moved very little air. Ended up wiring all four fans straight to molex.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Any tips on the best settings for the CPU fan? Im gonna use 2x Noctua A15 as intake, and an A14 as exhaust. The CPU fan is ramping up and down too often for my taste. What settings are you using?

Dark

Mar 9, 2019

superfula

Mar 8, 2016
I’m attempting to flash the bios to AsRocks newest but it freezes immediately when I initiate the flash. So far I’ve tried every USB port as well as multiple USB drives. Any ideas?

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Windows Storage spaces is pretty much a let down for me. I tried so much to make it work :-(
S2D was not any better. The write performance was basically terrible on a 6 node mix of HGST slc drives and intel ssds+1tb hdds.
But that MS08 oh man oh man oh man !!!
Thanks so much @Dark THAT looks AWESOME !
I was also not too impressed with storage spaces, but I did manage to crank some excellent speeds out of some configurations.

I dropped it for freenas after my ReFS somehow got corrupt and there were no recovery tools at the time.