Datto Xeon D 1541 board -- $501.15 shipped + 6/8% ebay bucks for some

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Any suggestions on which NVMe drives makes sense with the PCIe 3.0 X1 limitation? Usecase being as an ESXi datastore.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Just got mine today as well with I/O shield.
Added 4 sticks RDIMM for 64G and booted into BIOS.

So far so good. will install in a Silvestone CS380 in closet for a NAS.
Looking for some NVME storage to take advantage of the M2 slots.
may convert to IT mode later but will test with IR mode on 3008 chip for now.
With no cache, the 3008 may have low performance but good enough for some use.

Next up will be 10G and 40G links to other storage for virtualization ... need to see how that works.
I thought the D-1541 should be able to handle light virtualization with a couple low load database servers.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Was able to grab one for $300. Not a bad deal.
Yeah ... I figured it would go lower when $375 was taken quickly but no remorse.
I may have got a deal on the RAM for 16G sticks @ $60 for 2133 RDIMM

Reactions: Dark

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Just got mine today as well with I/O shield.
Added 4 sticks RDIMM for 64G and booted into BIOS.

So far so good. will install in a Silvestone CS380 in closet for a NAS.
Looking for some NVME storage to take advantage of the M2 slots.
may convert to IT mode later but will test with IR mode on 3008 chip for now.
With no cache, the 3008 may have low performance but good enough for some use.

Next up will be 10G and 40G links to other storage for virtualization ... need to see how that works.
I thought the D-1541 should be able to handle light virtualization with a couple low load database servers.
Should handle the load well. I run two d-1557 chips as compute hosts and they seem to handle heavy threaded loads well. The 8 core isn’t much behind on the multi threaded performance.

I scooped up 4x 32GB RDIMMs and the In-Win MS08 chassis. Planning to test an all flash array (8x 2TB 850 Pros) with a few different storage softwares. Debating optane for cache.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Last edited:

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Should handle the load well. I run two d-1557 chips as compute hosts and they seem to handle heavy threaded loads well. The 8 core isn’t much behind on the multi threaded performance.

I scooped up 4x 32GB RDIMMs and the In-Win MS08 chassis. Planning to test an all flash array (8x 2TB 850 Pros) with a few different storage softwares. Debating optane for cache.

Where are you getting the MS08 from ??
I'm trying to find people selling it in the US but the prices are way too high.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Argh, cant seem to get my board to boot :( stuck at Error code 96. Tried with only 1 RAM inserted.
Could it be that the HP 2666MHz RAM I have (4x 16GB) wont work? I assumed it would just run at 2400MHz..

The HP model number is 840757-091, they were pulled from a DL380 Gen10.
SK Hynix HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK
HMA82GR7AFR4N < PRODUCTS < SK Hynix

Its regular RDIMMs, should work, no??

Seems that HMA82GR7AFR8N-VK is on the SM compability list for X10SDV. Dont know what the difference between 4N and 8N is..

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Argh, cant seem to get my board to boot :( stuck at Error code 96. Tried with only 1 RAM inserted.
-ould it be that the HP 2666MHz RAM I have (4x 16GB) wont work? I assumed it would just run at 2400MHz..

The HP model number is 840757-091
SK Hynix HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK
HMA82GR7AFR4N < PRODUCTS < SK Hynix

Its regular RDIMMs, should work, no??
Yes it should be RDIMM, LRDIMM probably not, but your sticks shouldn't be LRDIMM.
When you had only one stick in your board, did you check that it was in the slot that it should be in as per the manual?

In any case, some googling suggests that it is an issue with an add-on card, do you have something else plugged in?

Finally, when I setup my board I forgot to plugin the 8-pin EPS plug, and it did not boot because of it, did you do this too?

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Yes it should be RDIMM, LRDIMM probably not, but your sticks shouldn't be LRDIMM.
When you had only one stick in your board, did you check that it was in the slot that it should be in as per the manual?

In any case, some googling suggests that it is an issue with an add-on card, do you have something else plugged in?

Finally, when I setup my board I forgot to plugin the 8-pin EPS plug, and it did not boot because of it, did you do this too?
24 + 8 Pin is connected. I had a Mellanox Connectx-2 that I pulled as the first thing I tried.
I tried different slots, and currently using A1, can try B1 just to have done it.
Also tried pulling the CMOS battery for 10min, but didnt help.

I think I have 2 pieces of 8GB DDR4 RDIMM ECC at work, so might take the drive asap cause Im anxious to find out why this is happening..

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Certainly does sound like that could be the case.

I checked the location of the jumpers I could see in the picture, and it looks identical to mine (of course I may have missed some).
I suppose you could try to check all jumpers, make sure they are set exactly where they should and all that.

Have you tried with a different power supply?
What does the IPMI video output show?
Perhaps it makes sense to reset the IPMI?
Have you checked that nothing is shorting out on the back of the board?

The manual on asrockrack's website suggests A1 and B1 as "minimum" configuration (it is not exactly what it states, just my interpretation), perhaps try with that rather than just one stick? Of course if that is what you just did, ignore the suggestion ;)

Sorry I have nothing but "long shot" suggestions.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Certainly does sound like that could be the case.

I checked the location of the jumpers I could see in the picture, and it looks identical to mine (of course I may have missed some).
I suppose you could try to check all jumpers, make sure they are set exactly where they should and all that.

Have you tried with a different power supply?
What does the IPMI video output show?
Perhaps it makes sense to reset the IPMI?
Have you checked that nothing is shorting out on the back of the board?

The manual on asrockrack's website suggests A1 and B1 as "minimum" configuration (it is not exactly what it states, just my interpretation), perhaps try with that rather than just one stick? Of course if that is what you just did, ignore the suggestion ;)

Sorry I have nothing but "long shot" suggestions.
The powersupply is a brand new Corsair RM550x Gold, so I doubt that is the reason.
The IPMI video output shows "System initializing..." on a black screen, I added that screenshot to the link above.
Ive tried with both the 8GB and 16GB sticks with a pair in A1/B1, same issue.
Doesnt look like theres any shorting going on from what I can see..

Thanks for the suggestions, open for more:)

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Judging by google when searching for "Asrock System Initializing", it seems that the most common search results are related to dead Atom C2000 boards. Doesnt sound very promising :/