Datto Xeon D 1541 board -- $501.15 shipped + 6/8% ebay bucks for some

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Does anyone know if these boards support pci-e bifurcation ? I know the supermicro xeon-d's have that option in the bios.

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
So, I got mine today... it does not have an option for PCI-e bifurcation.
Also, it needs the secondary powersupply connected in addition to the 24pin.
It will not post without that connected - was panicking for a while thinking they were DOA.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
These may also be a bit picky on memory -- setting up my first one and it wouldn't post with known-working SK Hynix memory from a decommissioned Supermicro board. Swapped in some Crucial sticks and posted as expected.

For others, the memory related error code showing was b6.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
These may also be a bit picky on memory -- setting up my first one and it wouldn't post with known-working SK Hynix memory from a decommissioned Supermicro board. Swapped in some Crucial sticks and posted as expected.

For others, the memory related error code showing was b6.
What’s the Hynix part number? Mine so far have been good. I was pulling part numbers from the Supermicro 1541 board compatibility list hoping it would be more CPU dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
What’s the Hynix part number? Mine so far have been good. I was pulling part numbers from the Supermicro 1541 board compatibility list hoping it would be more CPU dependent.

SK Hynix HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

Full label:
32GB 4Rx4 PC4-2133P-LD0-10
HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF TD AA 1545

Had 8 of them in an X10SRH-CLN4F that was upgraded... no-go with 2 of them in the Asrock. Everything running perfectly with the Crucial sticks.

Installed untangle this morning and now running one of these boards as a 10gb-capable home router. My former Atom-based PFsense setup has been having stability issues the last couple of weeks, so took it as an opportunity to upgrade and try a new config. :cool:

Last edited:

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
SK Hynix HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

Full label:
32GB 4Rx4 PC4-2133P-LD0-10
HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF TD AA 1545
Looks like that’s a load reduced module. From my searching it seems like those aren’t supported with the Xeon-D. I could be wrong on that, but I’ve stayed away from them.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Looks like that’s a load reduced module. From my searching it seems like those aren’t supported with the Xeon-D. I could be wrong on that, but I’ve stayed away from them.

That would explain it! I didn't even think to check. Thanks for the info. :)

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
So the boards are just plain Asrock boards. They don't have any Datto branding on them.
Just got done Memtesting them. need to put them in a case and start using them. :-/

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Mine is datto branded after fw bios update it only had the board brand

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

netforceatg

Jun 2, 2015
Just bought two of these myself.

I understand that they have 2 M.2 connectors, that can support either SATA or PCI-E x1 3.0(limited to x1 speed according to the Asrock user manual block diagram).

I assume a PCI-E x1 3.0 SSD(up to 950mb/s) will be faster than a SATA(approx 550mb/s) SSD. Can anyone recommend m.2 PCI-E x1 3.0 SSD suitable 512GB-1TB drives?

Will a NVMe SSD drive work, but a reduced speed?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Should work fine at a reduced speed. Remember in theory at least the advantage of NVMe is the vastly more efficient protocols in use so much reduced latency compared to SATA, so even if PCIe x1 is similar total throughout the performance due to decreased latency should still see it a winner in all situations the IO is at all random.

Reactions: netforceatg

netforceatg

Jun 2, 2015
Thanks Evan.

But I am a little concerned that there is no word about NVMe in the Asrock user manual or on their page. But based on your answer a m.2 NVMe drive will fall back to 'PCIe mode' in order to be comptabile with non NVMe motherboard?

Just trying to understand this 100% before I go out and buying 4x 1TB M.2 drives :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks Evan.

But I am a little concerned that there is no word about NVMe in the Asrock user manual or on their page. But based on your answer a m.2 NVMe drive will fall back to 'PCIe mode' in order to be comptabile with non NVMe motherboard?

Just trying to understand this 100% before I go out and buying 4x 1TB M.2 drives :)
Very fair point, as unlikley as it is that it won’t work your right to check in detail for sure.
Don’t have even a single NVMe SSD you can try ? Or borrow from a PC or notebook.

netforceatg

Jun 2, 2015
Good suggestion, I'll try to insert the NVMe drive currently located in my Dell XPS 13 laptop to see what the ASRock\Datto MB Board will report when the boardsarrive.

If anyone else have any knowledge about this, please let us know :)

netforceatg

Jun 2, 2015
I have not received the motherboards yet and I will be going on vacation for a week or two. But this is one of the first things I will check when I get back :)

The NVMe drive located in my laptop is a Samsung PM961 NVMe drive. I will report back as soon get the chance to test it

Feel free to beat me in figuring this out... :)

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
I have not received the motherboards yet and I will be going on vacation for a week or two. But this is one of the first things I will check when I get back :)

The NVMe drive located in my laptop is a Samsung PM961 NVMe drive. I will report back as soon get the chance to test it

Feel free to beat me in figuring this out... :)
How did you just order these ? I thought they ran out of stock awhile back.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
How did you just order these ? I thought they ran out of stock awhile back.
They relisted more at $575. Now they have 2 at $795.

If anyone is looking for some of these I have a couple in my for sale thread I’m basically offloading at cost as I ended up going Scalable for several reasons.

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Oh wow, 575 might've been doable, but 795 is definitely out.
I feel that the lack of m.2 x4 nvme connectivity is annoying,