DataDirect Networks (DDN) SFA7700

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
Anyone got experience with old DDN equipment? I've picked up a couple of massive 60 disk top loader units that actually have little Xeon "canisters" in the back that power the whole thing, but I can't get them to post, nor is there much info about them on the web. Here's what they are:

https://manualzz.com/doc/29221023/sfa7700-datasheet

The computer on the inside of the canister appears to be made for a Xeon 2680 V2, which I've tried, and has four DIMM slots which I've tried with various types of DDR3. All it will do is beep at me really loud and eventually a LED with a exclamation point next to a microchip comes on, which I'm guessing indicates a CPU or RAM problem, but I'm kind of at a loss of what to try. I've got more than one and they all act the same way.

Hoping someone might have old manuals for them or have worked on them in the past. Thanks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
sure the V2 are supported on the Bios you have on those?
Try V1 Sandybridge.
Additionally, there was a change with Ivybridge that needs a newer VR Interface that causes incompatibility with motherboards that have VRM Controllers who only support the older one. Giglebyte x79what ever REVISION 1.0 for instance.
IR35Something A and the later Revisions 1.1 have got the B that supports both.

So, might be a bios issue, might be a VRM issue.

Use Sandybridge Xeons for testing

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
I *think so* - I dug up an old manual and found a screenshot of a v2 post screen, so I was guessing that's what it wanted. But I'll grab some V1s they're almost free nowadays anyway. Thanks for the idea!

Edit: Added a photo

Attachments

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
good to hear.
If you want to figure out if a Bios update is enough to get those V2s working, you can either take a look at the VRM controller that is probably hidden under the FAN, or flash a bios and try again.
I think the Jump was from Intels VR11 to VR11.5 or maybe VR12 standard.
Could look it up, it's stated in the ARK on each CPU ...

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
Nah, it wouldn't help, there are no publically available BIOS updates for these systems (not to mention no manuals, drivers, or anything else).