Database tool of CPU performance/power consumption

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Often when reviewing server CPUs I turn to the articles posted on here for benchmarks and power consumption.

Sometimes the CPUs I’m comparing don’t show up in the same graphs, it would be amazing if we could select specific models and do a side by side comparison of figures for specific models.

Also idle power consumption is a big one, although I appreciate this is hard to report when you have additional hardware.

I’d be happy to help out with a backend app for this!

Reactions: Son of Homer

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That was the original concept around Linux-Bench. Perhaps it is something to revisit next month as we prepare to update the suite.

Reactions: malloot

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
Often when reviewing server CPUs I turn to the articles posted on here for benchmarks and power consumption.

Sometimes the CPUs I’m comparing don’t show up in the same graphs, it would be amazing if we could select specific models and do a side by side comparison of figures for specific models.

Also idle power consumption is a big one, although I appreciate this is hard to report when you have additional hardware.

I’d be happy to help out with a backend app for this!
I second getting even an indication of idle power consumption.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I actually want to make a 50-70% load number what we use going forward.

Few people run at 100% and heavy AVX workloads. If you are, then you know you are going to use a lot of power.

Idle is less exciting these days. Remember, the AST2500 BMC, RAM chip for the BMC, PSU idle and etc all account for a very significant portion of 1P system idle.

Reactions: i386

nry

Feb 22, 2013
My main reason for idle power consumption is due to the kit running at home, every watt makes a difference to the electricity bill [emoji3]

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Patrick all for a 50% used (think 70% is too high) but I also do like idle, big difference a home server idling at 30w vs 50w and that’s what a lot of systems do at night say.

Which is why I am looking to optimize a system or pair of systems for always on usage but still able to run ok when a bit loaded, example I guess is it looks like an X11SDV will end up idling certainly no less than an X10SRM with e5-2640v4

Either your figures or mine seem to be off a bit.

(I live in the land of 20+ cent kwhr power)

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
That was the original concept around Linux-Bench. Perhaps it is something to revisit next month as we prepare to update the suite.
Any news on the bench updates? It seems like there is no good tool to actually compare performance for compute based workloads out there, you guys could really make an impact with this. Possibly let people compare their own hardware to the benchmark article so they can compare better. One important aspect that is missing in the articles is the performance per dollar of parts, preferably in a way that you can change the price if you find a deal or get bulk pricing.

Really hoping to hear updates about this!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The model we have been using is more impactful: we have been running benchmarks for companies using their exact software/ workload.

It is not a free service since it costs us a lot to do, but it has helped us scale while others are cutting back.

Also, performance per dollar of a part is really only valid to compare in the same platform and on a TCO basis. We do put some of that together, but that is why it is not emphasized as much.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
The model we have been using is more impactful: we have been running benchmarks for companies using their exact software/ workload.

It is not a free service since it costs us a lot to do, but it has helped us scale while others are cutting back.

Also, performance per dollar of a part is really only valid to compare in the same platform and on a TCO basis. We do put some of that together, but that is why it is not emphasized as much.
Hey, so where does my company sign up for that service? We could really benefit from that as we are currently always having to deal with suppliers for samples and long lead times in order to bench hardware. Can we PM about this?