DAS enclosure - DIY PSU power button

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Hi everyone,
I am Building a DIY DAS enclosure. I do not want to use a mobo. I have seen here that there is the Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD but it seems to me an unnecessary waste of money.

I was wondering, if I get a power button like this and strip the cable, could I coonect it to the appropriate pins of the PSU cable and make it work?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Direct connect to the pins I believe has to be a open/close style switch. There are cheap alternatives to the supermicro like these, they are lower build quality, lack fan headers or front control panel though. The cheaper boards have on/off switch rather than a pushbutton. You could easily solder a replacement switch extended to the front of your case.

Edit: found one with fan headers and a 5v usb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JF25PFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_EI--Cb2E171AG

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Last time I built a DIY DAS - I just permanently shorted the green and one of black wires in the 24pin connector with a piece of bent wire and then used the on/off switch on the PSU itself to control it.

Also I have seen a couple of different and very inexpensive (at about $15) Raspberry Pi hats similar to this Desktop ATX Power for Raspberry Pi. Those boards while designed to be plugged into an RPi would still work for the purpose of controlling an ATX PSU with a momentary type switch even without an RPi connected.

I checked ebay and aliexpress but I don't seem to find any of the cheap ones available anymore. Not sure why. Maybe the demand wasn't there.

Last edited:

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Thanks a lot for your responses
Direct connect to the pins I believe has to be a open/close style switch. There are cheap alternatives to the supermicro like these, they are lower build quality, lack fan headers or front control panel though. The cheaper boards have on/off switch rather than a pushbutton. You could easily solder a replacement switch extended to the front of your case.

Edit: found one with fan headers and a 5v usb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JF25PFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_EI--Cb2E171AG
That is very good, I show some DIY projects making those, it certainly fits my purpose

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...s-controllers-expanders-mobos-procs-ram.7407/

Some of those supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 power modules for sale for $25 i think, at that price kinda hard to argue.
Thanks for the useful link, somehow I missed it. As for the price, I live in Europe - even worse, Greece - so I cannot find it for less than 65 Euros. At that price it is not worth it. I hate you Americans and your good prices :)

Last time I built a DIY DAS - I just permanently shorted the green and one of black wires in the 24pin connector with a piece of bent wire and then used the on/off switch on the PSU itself to control it.

Also I have seen a couple of different and very inexpensive (at about $15) Raspberry Pi hats similar to this Desktop ATX Power for Raspberry Pi. Those boards while designed to be plugged into an RPi would still work for the purpose of controlling an ATX PSU with a momentary type switch even without an RPi connected.

I checked ebay and aliexpress but I don't seem to find any of the cheap ones available anymore. Not sure why. Maybe the demand wasn't there.
I was thinking of using the PSU power button to turn it on/off (at least at the beginning), but I am trying to make it a bit more "PC like". I will certainly check the Raspberry hats, they may just fit the purpose.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Thanks a lot for your responses

That is very good, I show some DIY projects making those, it certainly fits my purpose

Thanks for the useful link, somehow I missed it. As for the price, I live in Europe - even worse, Greece - so I cannot find it for less than 65 Euros. At that price it is not worth it. I hate you Americans and your good prices :)

I was thinking of using the PSU power button to turn it on/off (at least at the beginning), but I am trying to make it a bit more "PC like". I will certainly check the Raspberry hats, they may just fit the purpose.
You could see if he’d be willing to ship abroad for a little extra cost. Would still be about half the cost of where you are.

You could make it pc like orrr like a fighter jet and get a switch like this :D.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
You could see if he’d be willing to ship abroad for a little extra cost. Would still be about half the cost of where you are.

You could make it pc like orrr like a fighter jet and get a switch like this :D.

I will definitely contact him.

Btw, I play a quite complicated space simulator called Elite Dangerous and this button reminded me that I wanted to learn basic electronics and make a control like this:

maybe one day...

Reactions: Tha_14