D-Link DGS-1510-28X

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
I bought this thing about a week ago for 390EUR = $480.
In Europe most resellers sell this thing fpr arround 350EUR-390EUR.
As of now: The price is rising, as they are sold out everywhere and sellers are restocking.

Unfortunatelly I am not the average IT-Pro, but more a interested home user.
That beeing said: Lets talk about the switch

Energy consumtion is with 22w phenomenal.
Installation is easy.
WebUI is also okayish (seen better, seen worse)
and I have seen no license fees pop up...

The switch seems solid. The Ethernet ports leave the impression that one should treat them with a little more respect than with for example HP Procurve switches.
So not 1000% durable, but okay I guess.
The fan is arround 40db I would guess.
So nothing you would want in the room that you are workin in, but in another room, even with doors open and a distance of 6ft, it is hardly audible.
Fan seems to be low tec... I think I will replace mine soon.

Switching performamce: This is the part I leave out, because I have no other reference equipment but a mikrotik CRS226-24G-2S+IN
I managed to saturate the 10GB port while transfering something from ram disk to ram disk...
I doubt this information is of any value to you.

My FiberStore Lamps (bought to use them with my brocade 1020 cards) are working flawlessly...

If I can help you with anything else (that doesn't cost me much time) , let me know

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am preparing my C6100 to be sent to colocation, so I would like to maximize and optimize it in every way I can possibly and once I send it to colocation I expect to leave things run at least two years untouched.
I had a similar thought about two years ago. Turned out a bit different than expected.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Thread voodoo I know but I've also been looking at this switch - been wanting a small SOHO switch with at least 3xSFP+ ports (NAS, backup NAS and workstation) plus the gigabits for everything else. For a while it looked like the Mikrotik was the only game in town for small low-power 10Gb/s but the DGS-1510 28X is sorely tempting... it's down to about £300 over here, equivalent to about $450 US tax inclusive; still seems to be insanely overpriced over the pond.

But I'm apprehensive of the fan noise. Kristian, did you ever pop the covers to see if replacing the fan(s) was a feasible option? What sort of temps do you see on the switch you do have? From consulting the manual these are "smart fans" that run at maximum speed >42°C and low speed <39°C (doesn't explain what it does in the intervening 40-41°C however ;)); is there a noticeable difference in noise between the two settings? I'm incredulous how something with such apparently low power usage could possibly need to be so noisy...

Thing is the rest of my kit is <30dB so buying something rated at 43dB is a no-no unless I chuck it up in the loft.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
@EffrafaxOfWug

^^ Now that is funny. Since the day before yesterday I am thinking about opening the case to check if I could replace the stock fan with some NOCTUA NF-A4x10 FLX I have laying arround.
NOCTUA NF-A4x10 FLX - Gehäuselüfter - 40 mm, NF-A4X10: Amazon.de: Elektronik

As this is my core switch I didn't have the motivation to power everything down yet.
But now I am freshly motivated to have a look this evening.
My DGS-1510-28X is in a storage room in our basement and I have never seen temperatures above 29C when having (for me) heavy traffic (file transfers over 10GB/s @700 MB/s / because my storage server does not deliver more).

Right now I checked the "idle" temperature: 25C with a room temperature of 19C

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Now that is a very promising-looking 40mm fan that seems to want to go above and beyond the call of duty. From the datasheet:
Many devices featuring 40mm fans use proprietary fan headers, so the NF-A4x10 comes with
Noctua’s OmniJoin Adaptor Set. Just cut the original fan’s cable, fix it to the adaptor using the
supplied 3M Scotchlok™ connectors and you can plug the NF-A4x10 to proprietary fan headers!
The d-link manual isn't explicit on this, they say the 28 has fittings for one fan and the 28P fittings for two... but no mention of the 28X. I'd expect it to be more in line with the 28 given the power budget but can you confirm whether it has one or two slots? From your language it sounds like yes, there's only one fan slot... but just want to make sure. If the Noctua is as good as it looks on paper then the DGS-150 28X looks like a bargain - your input much appreciated, danke shoen!

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Bitteschön! (You are welcome)

So here is what I found out:

After opening the case I had a look at the mainboard.
There is just one fan header (regular 3 pin). It is located on the rightern side.
On the left side (where there is no fan header) there is no real possibility to mount a second fan.

2015-03-19 20.25.20.jpg

close up:
2015-03-19 20.25.57.jpg

So I removed the stock fan and and built in the NOCTUA NF-A4x10 FLX I not using the OmniJoin Adaptor Set.
Put all screws back together and powered the device.
All lamps yellow.... fan not spinning....

After taking all the screws out again: I noticed that the stock fan had the cables alligend from left to right: yellow, black, red and
not the standard yellow, red, black.

So without using the OmniJoin Adaptor Set (because I forgot about that) I took a needle and softly pressed against the pins of the noctuas fan connector and switched the red and black...

Fan was spinning.
Switch is operating normal.
Temps went up 2 degrees to 27C

The switch is really quite now.
Should be way more silent than 33db.
2015-03-19 20.30.38.jpg

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Nicely done with the fan Kristian and good to know it doesn't seem to have affected the temperatures too much. From reading around a bit it seems that swapping the pins even on fans is fairly common these days - don't think I would have spotted that myself as I'm not used to it so thanks for the info there.

cesmith - also a nice switch, although I'm less keen on the 2xSFP+/2x10Gb 10BASE-T than I am on the 4xSFP+ since I can just go direct attach... but certainly keeping an eye on it. Sadly it's 50% more expensive than the d-link over here.

Reactions: Kristian

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
10Gbe uplink can go to a server. Only if it is "stacking only" can it not.

D-Link 28 Port Gigabit SmartPro Switch DGS-1510-28X Price comparison & reviews - Switches - Canada
For what it's worth, these things seem to be about $700 CAD - or about $525 USD. That's not bad. What I don't like is I'd really really like 5x SFP+ at a minimum - 2x 2x10GbE SFP+ for dual controller SAN, and then 3x 2x for 3 ESXi hosts means a net total of 10 ports or 5 each. With a C6100 that's 12, or 6 each. But now that I've found a 4x10GbE SFP+ version, of COURSE I'm getting greedy and wanting more :) Could make the arguement that either the HA SAN or 3rd host could be 1GbE only, as hopefully it's only used in a pinch. Makes more sense for it to be the 3rd host, I'm thinking.

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
What I don't like is I'd really really like 5x SFP+ at a minimum - 2x 2x10GbE SFP+ for dual controller SAN, and then 3x 2x for 3 ESXi hosts means a net total of 10 ports or 5 each. With a C6100 that's 12, or 6 each. But now that I've found a 4x10GbE SFP+ version, of COURSE I'm getting greedy and wanting more :) Could make the arguement that either the HA SAN or 3rd host could be 1GbE only, as hopefully it's only used in a pinch. Makes more sense for it to be the 3rd host, I'm thinking.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/new-dlink-10g-switches.5157/

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
FWIW, I purchased the 28 port D-link back in March from Provantage for $550 shipped. It's been working fine at my parent's place since then. Using 3 of the 4 SFP+ connections for a vSAN network.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Where did you get those sweet noctua from? I am planning on getting a switch but could go with new fans instead of fanless

Mark Avon

Feb 26, 2017
Thank you Kristian for the instructions. I swapped the pins also as it seemed easier than using the adaptor bits in the kit. The hardest thing was getting the bottom bolt back in - I ended up just using the top bolt which is secure enough. The screws that come with the kit are too large to get through the case.

Reactions: Kristian

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
@Zankza
@Patrick
Could / Would you rename the Topic of this thread to "D-Link DGS-1510-28X" or something like that?
With the Topic named "edited" it is hard to find and every once in a while someone might find this usefull.

Regards
Kris