CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

netspeedy

May 25, 2023
London
thanks. pressing "DEL" button did the trick. i was worried its a faulty set. i never know without a OS install, I wont see anything.
i managed to use sergei win PE boot disk and use the tools inside and found all components are detected.
With no OS you will see something :) you will see what you were seeing :)

BTW @alcw, do you have an URL for the RAM that you used? I still need to order some here.

alcw

May 9, 2023
With no OS you will see something :) you will see what you were seeing :)

BTW @alcw, do you have an URL for the RAM that you used? I still need to order some here.
well, this is the first time ever I get a barebones and mix and match ram and nvme SSD myself. next time I wont be panicked seeing this after a few weeks wait for this device to arrive.

the ram I bought from taobao, crucial official store:
英睿达笔记本内存条DDR4电脑内存8G 16G 2666 3200官方旗舰店

Reactions: netspeedy

netspeedy

May 25, 2023
London

weiyiaw85

Apr 15, 2023
Thank you.
Btw I asked Cwwk , they recommend to use Samsung Ram and nvme ssd also
In my country abit hard to find Samsung Ram , Samsung ssd got a lot

Is this model very sensitive any brand Ram or disk ? Anyone experienced before ?
I also buying without ssd and ram package , worry got incompatible issue

Last edited:

alcw

May 9, 2023
What OS are you running on? For linux, I have a script that runs at boot that sets PL1 and PL2. On windows I used throttlestop to set them. This is my linux script:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

PL1=22000000
PL1_TAU=28000000
PL2=40000000

RAPL=("intel-rapl" "intel-rapl-mmio")

for ii in ${RAPL[@]}; do
  if [ -e /sys/class/powercap/$ii ]; then
    /usr/bin/powercap-set -p $ii -z 0 -c 0 -l $PL1 -s $PL1_TAU
    /usr/bin/powercap-set -p $ii -z 0 -c 1 -l $PL2
  fi
done

echo powersave | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_governor > /dev/null
echo balance_performance | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/energy_performance_preference > /dev/null
echo balance-power | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/power/energy_perf_bias > /dev/null
Make sure intel dynamic tuning framework is turned on in the BIOS. The user supplied RAPL limits don't seem to work correctly without it. Note that this script is specific to HWP being on. You don't want to use the powersave governor if HWP is off.
Hi fta,
I am curious why not setting in BIOS, by flashing the HWP on .BIN, the PL1 & PL2 settings are disabled. in this case, it will be able to run with throttlestop tools in windows?

can I also check Is this settings correct? i guess the correct setting in BIOS should be
PL1=20000(mili watts)
PL1 Time Windows = 28s
PL2=40000(mili watts)
ignore the pictures I did not realized the unit of the settings

also there is one setting called "HwP Lock" and currently is "Enabled", is this correct? or should the "lock" be disabled?

i would also need some help on where to find this "intel dynamic tuning framework" setting in bios?

not sure why, but when I run AIDA64 stress test, the watts using never get pass 15watts

Attachments

Last edited:

fta

Feb 19, 2017
I am curious why not setting in BIOS, by flashing the HWP on .BIN, the PL1 & PL2 settings are disabled.
I use a script so I can change them at runtime. That means I don't have to be physically at the box to change the limits like I have to be if I set them in the BIOS. It's ok to set them in the BIOS if that's what you want to do.

in this case, it will be able to run with throttlestop tools in windows?
I used throttlestop in windows when doing my testing so, yes, it works.

can I also check Is this settings correct? i guess the correct setting in BIOS should be
PL1=20000(mili watts)
PL1 Time Windows = 28s
PL2=40000(mili watts)
ignore the pictures I did not realized the unit of the settings
Those are reasonable settings, although, I limit by temp now.

also there is one setting called "HwP Lock" and currently is "Enabled", is this correct? or should the "lock" be disabled?
Any "lock" in the BIOS needs to be disabled when you want to change that setting at runtime. In this case, you probably don't need to change HWP at runtime so it won't matter. In general, though, I disable all locks.

i would also need some help on where to find this "intel dynamic tuning framework" setting in bios?
Advanced->Thermal Configuration->Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning Technology Configuration

not sure why, but when I run AIDA64 stress test, the watts using never get pass 15watts
Did you do the TDC Limit fix? It's at the bottom of this post.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
I run proxmox. My script will set up everything you need. You'll need to install the powercap-utils package before running the script.
@fta are you running your script at start by cron or did you create script in systemd?
I am not very experienced with the command line in linux.
Any tips would be appreciated sir.
Thank you in advance for all your shared knowledge.

fta

Feb 19, 2017
@fta are you running your script at start by cron or did you create script in systemd?
I am not very experienced with the command line in linux.
Any tips would be appreciated sir.
Thank you in advance for all your shared knowledge.
With cron. Do a crontab -e, then add this line: @reboot /root/scripts/at_reboot.sh. Replace with the location of your script, of course.

Reactions: slidermike

alcw

May 9, 2023
I use a script so I can change them at runtime. That means I don't have to be physically at the box to change the limits like I have to be if I set them in the BIOS. It's ok to set them in the BIOS if that's what you want to do.

I used throttlestop in windows when doing my testing so, yes, it works.

Those are reasonable settings, although, I limit by temp now.

Any "lock" in the BIOS needs to be disabled when you want to change that setting at runtime. In this case, you probably don't need to change HWP at runtime so it won't matter. In general, though, I disable all locks.

Advanced->Thermal Configuration->Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning Technology Configuration

Did you do the TDC Limit fix? It's at the bottom of this post.
"Did you do the TDC Limit fix? It's at the bottom of". Yes I did, also did the TCC offset, I am using 10deg (limit my temp to 90deg) with 3 seconds.
i managed to get the PL1 and PL2 setting to work but need to do it in another deeper configuration setting page. i am using your suggested setting of PL1=55W and PL2=55W.

now the watt using can hit higher when running CPU Marks. i manage to squeeze to around 16000 (in windows 11) compared to default PL1 & PL2 settings just having around 10000 CPU marks. Thats 60% CPU marks increased with CPU average at limit of around 90~95 in test.

i would like to clarify again with you on the >>>"HwP Lock" in BIOS, you have set it to [Disable] in your current setup?

i still have one issue I am wondering why, my CPU speed never get past 4000mhz (it just hit max around 3900+ mhz), has been monitoring using HWMonitor throughout all CPU marks, cinebench, geekbench, cpu-z, aida64 tests.

are you able to get yours hit more than 3900mhz?

Attachments

fta

Feb 19, 2017
i would like to clarify again with you on the >>>"HwP Lock" in BIOS, you have set it to [Disable] in your current setup?
Correct, but it's not really necessary.

i still have one issue I am wondering why, my CPU speed never get past 4000mhz (it just hit max around 3900+ mhz), has been monitoring using HWMonitor throughout all CPU marks, cinebench, geekbench, cpu-z, aida64 tests.
I'm only able to get to 4000MHz in windows, and I don't know why windows has this restriction. In linux it will go all the way to 4400MHz.

alcw

May 9, 2023
I'm only able to get to 4000MHz in windows, and I don't know why windows has this restriction. In linux it will go all the way to 4400MHz.
sound great. i am only using windows to test out the systems and eventually will be installing proxmox with VM and openwrt and test out the transcoding performance on jellyfin compared to my N6005 unraid system

fway

May 8, 2023
Btw I asked Cwwk , they recommend to use Samsung Ram and nvme ssd also
In my country abit hard to find Samsung Ram , Samsung ssd got a lot

Is this model very sensitive any brand Ram or disk ? Anyone experienced before ?
I also buying without ssd and ram package , worry got incompatible issue
SK Hynix works awesome in this Gen12 box and my Gen11 box. I have had some Samsung memory that did not work @3200 (only 2933, so I had to go into BIOS and force it to 2933) and swapped out. It is really up to the memory module maker to screw it up with poor timings in the SPD/EEPROM. I listed the modules (Amazon link) I know to work at full speed across all my boxes (G.Skill Ripjaws).

fway

May 8, 2023
that would mean ax200/ax210 would only work on amd platforms which of course is not true. you can run those two on anything with a pcie x1 slot (or mini-pcie or a fitting adapter). i have personally run ax210 on 4th gen intels and also amd ryzen systems (using pcie adapters).

it is true though that the ax201/211/411 will not work on amd platforms and the ax211/411 wont work on intel platforms before 12th gen because of the proprietary cnvio2-protocol that is exclusive to intel 12th/13th gen ( see Intel ax211 compatibility with CNVIO2 sockets ).
Yes. Correct.

netspeedy

May 25, 2023
London
Hi Guys,

Do we know if Seagate FireCuda 530, 4 TB, Internal SSD, M.2 PCIe Gen4 ×4 NVMe drives works in this unit?

I ask as I am looking to adding greater then 2TB in the primary NVME slot and while I know Samgsung from what everyone has mentioned works fine, no ones mentioned about adding anything bigger then 2TB in. I am aware that you wont get the speed out of this, but I am looking for the extra capacity.

If anyone knows if they should work, please let me know as it would save an amazon return otherwise :)

fway

May 8, 2023
Hi Guys,

Do we know if Seagate FireCuda 530, 4 TB, Internal SSD, M.2 PCIe Gen4 ×4 NVMe drives works in this unit?

I ask as I am looking to adding greater then 2TB in the primary NVME slot and while I know Samgsung from what everyone has mentioned works fine, no ones mentioned about adding anything bigger then 2TB in. I am aware that you wont get the speed out of this, but I am looking for the extra capacity.

If anyone knows if they should work, please let me know as it would save an amazon return otherwise :)
I can attest that these work:
WD Black SN850X
WD Blue SN570

weiyiaw85

Apr 15, 2023
Hi Guys,

I plan to get Samsung 980 Pro or 990 Pro 2TB

Oh ya I want to get advice from you guy , what is the best practice to install Proxmox and TrueNas ?
I5-1235U - only can install 1x NVME SSD , 2 X SATA only how to configure TrueNas?

lucker

May 28, 2023
Hi Guys, thank you for the awesome thread with lot of useful info! I'm glad to find it.

I plan to buy this box or AMD Ryzen R5-5600U one in order to set up OPNsense as a main home router and move my VPS installation (freebsd based with bunch of jails and services like mail, websites, etc) into it. I am looking forward to use ZFS mirror, but the device has only one NVMe (the second will go to WiFi module). The two SATA ports are good enough for my purpose, but I have to mount them both externally to avoid blocking the airflow.

The guy from CWWK store has kindly suggested this too:
Yes, only one 2.5 hard drive can be installed I suggest that it can be installed outside This board can be knocked off, and the cable of the first hard disk extends from here to the outside of the machine
Screenshot 2023-05-29 19.51.38.png
So, the question is: has anyone came up yet with a solution for that? Could you please share some photo? I mean you can't just drop a couple of dangled SSD / HDD outside the box, right? Maybe you can point out to an idea for a case or something, which can connect with standard SATA cables and, even better, has a fan.

And another question: how would you compare this box with the AMD Ryzen 5 5600U one (it has at least two NVMe, + a slot for WiFI card, and some aliexpress stores even claim that it has 3 NVMe - the third one is besides the CPU cooler, on the other side) in terms of heat and FreeBSD compatibility? I saw in the thread that people run opensense on bare metal, so obviously no problem here, but I cannot find any report on the AMD box except
this one and some comments there.

fway

May 8, 2023
CWWK i3-1215U on sale at Amazon now (5% coupon): $350.97 USD (barebones)
CWWK i5-1235U on sale at Amazon now (5% coupon): $444.31 USD (barebones)
CWWK i7-1265U on sale at Amazon now (5% coupon): $590.14 USD (barebones)