Cutting apart a Supermicro case ... experiences?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hi,

so I have this strange layout Supermicro motherboard that I got cheap on eBay. Thought it was worth it at $35 for an E3 board, but it's turning out to be more work than it's worth.

x9spu_1_2017-05-23.jpg

I have it in a standard ATX case but I can't use any of the expansion slots because it requires a riser card that provides horizontal-mount slots.

So, I bought a fancy case for $180 bucks that I drove 100 miles round trip to pick up. Come to find out the back of the case where the IO ports go is not compatible with my board. Feeling stupid for not checking more carefully before I left.

x9spu_2_2017-05-23.jpg

So, instead of returning the case (aahhh!) I am actually considering trying to cut apart the IO area with a dremel. It's made of pretty hefty aluminum or possibly steel. I've cut a 1U supermicro case before to try and fit a different board in it, but the metal on this one is far more substantial.

So anyway, I just thought I'd ask people --- what do you think I should do?

What do you think I should use to cut it apart? I have a dremel but I'm not sure what kind of material of cutting wheel I should use... (those little cutting discs grind up quick)

Have you any experience with cutting apart a Supermicro case and fitting a different board, and how did it work out for you?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
What case is this? You should be able to get a rear window with a standard cutout to match most of the supermicro cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
What case is this? You should be able to get a rear window with a standard cutout to match most of the supermicro cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently it's a CSE-825TQ-R500WB. My motherboard, the x9spu-f, is compatible with the CSE-
825TQ-R740UB... and it's just not close enough.

Where can you get those parts from? The case doesn't have any sort of window. It also has low profile expansion slots halfway down where a usual ATX IO shield would mount...

K D

Dec 24, 2016
You can go to the supermicro website and check the various 825 chassis to identify which one matches and look at the parts list to get the specific part number. MCP-240-82506-0N Is the low profile slot version that will fit your case.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I don't think that part's going to work, this board has horizontally-mounted expansion slots ... I'll keep looking into this though. Thanks

EDIT: Looks like on the supermicro description it lists this as being the rear window for the case for the SC825TQ-R740UB: MCP-240-82503-0N

SC825TQ-R740UB | 2U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Maybe I can find one of those somewhere. Thanks for your help everyone.

EDIT EDIT: I ordered a MCP-240-82503-0N from rackmountnet.com - was only $18. If it was much more I would have been getting out my hacksaw...

Last edited: