Customized PCI Express Gen 3 Carrier Board for 4 M.2 SSD modules

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by larryexchange, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

I dont think that would work with some of these cables would it??
    Intel bridges the U.2 gap with an M.2 cable for its 750 Series SSD;)

Reason is, thats a $14.50 cable and depending on the cost of the naked carrier this would be a very cheap way to get 4 U2 drives connected (more capacity/options than m2)

But very nice.
    Is there cost and availability yet?;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

3. Aluminum

Aluminum Active Member

FWIW you can buy asrock and asus cards for this now under $100. Full height cards with shrouds, blinky lights and fans. I like the asrock one better myself, picked up 2. Set the fan to half speed or just unplug it unless you really need it. Car loan to populate the card with several TB of high-speed flash not included.

ASRock > ULTRA QUAD M.2 CARD
    ASRock ULTRA QUAD M.2 CARD PCI-e to 4x M.2 Card - Newegg.com

HYPER M.2 X16 CARD | Motherboard Accessories | ASUS USA
    ASUS HYPER M.2 x16 PCIe Expansion Card HYPER M.2 X16 CARD B&H

Keep in mind your motherboard absolutely positively MUST support x4x4x4x4 bifurcation in both hardware and bios on the exact slot you want to use. So basically X99?, X299, E5, X399, Epyc, etc from non-shitty vendors only.

4. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Or selected Supermicro boards :)

5. larryexchange

larryexchange Member

The customized board is HHHL size.

6. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So how is the heat issue covered with this board?
    Just saw the Amfeltec one in the FS section ( PCI Express Gen 3 Carrier Board for 4 M.2 SSD modules - Amfeltec ) which positions drives on both sides of the pcb which seems a good idea ... o/c the Amfeltec is horribly expensive since it has a PLX chip too, so not really an option.
    Had you considered this setup for your version?

7. larryexchange

larryexchange Member

Yes, I did. But according to manufacturer this design is more cost effective. I suggested them add a similar fan as Amfeltec board and add more space between two layers.

8. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Not surprised its cheaper, single sided PCB is a cheaper setup I assume. And what did they say re more space?

9. Jordan Innovations

Jordan Innovations New Member

After diving into SAS SSD -> NVMe SSD's recently and being unimpressed by most of what's out there, your half-height, 4x SSD into X16 slot board looks awesome. I came into some PM963's and can't believe what a pain in the ass it seems to be to get full x4 performance out of 'em without spending $200+.

I've got a Asus Z10PR-D16 (C612) board that I believe/remember/hope supports bifurcation, and it currently lives in a 4U case so I bought the Asrock 4-SSD card and will give it a try, but now that I don't need my 3.5" HDD's, I'd love to shove this into a smaller 2U case and your card would fit the bill beautifully... your OEM (Holchips?) going to start selling these?

10. sth

sth Active Member

subscribed.... glad to see someone working on this. Theres plenty of headroom to accommodate a dual sided quad board like the amfeltec one given their $487.35 price point if you decided to consider that option.

11. larryexchange

larryexchange Member

I just received the revised board w/ a built-in fan. In this version vendor also fixed some minor issues found in the previous one.
    IMG_1710 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1712 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1714 (Medium).JPG
    I tested the board in one of my desktop PC. Here is the temperature before enabling fan.
    Disk0-nofan.jpg Disk1-nofan.jpg

After I plugged in the power cable of fan, the temperature dropped 10 degree.
    Disk0-fan.jpg Disk1-fan.jpg

_alex, hitmanbabyvn, wsuff and 4 others like this.