Custom STH-Themed Parts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
So there's been a few hints here and there in @Patriot 's recent posts - we've designed a STH branded Raspberry Pi case - should fit a model B+ / 2 / 3. I don't currently have a 3d printer to verify that any of the dimensions are actually correct in the design, but we should have confirmation on that fairly soon. There's currently two versions for the top half of the case, either with or without holes for mounting a 40mm fan. And for now at least there are no holes for accessing any of the expansion ports, but its easy enough to cut those out and make yet another version if required.

For now just a few teaser pics until I'm reasonably sure that the design is correct, after which I will post the mesh files up here as well for anyone who wants them.

Feel free to make any comments/requests, either for alterations to this project, or other STH-branded ideas. Next up on the list is to make a few STH fan grills.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Its at a decent stage for fit and finish, right now we are at all of the tweaks that make it nicer than other cases.

Reactions: Patrick

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

I just got a pair of Logitech C270s that have guides about them for manual focusing rings... :)

Reactions: Patrick

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
When I first read this I wondered somewhat about copyright issues (namely around the use of the STH logo). Not that it is an issue in this particular case, but more in general. Given today's post about unattributed use of STH images it made me think about it once more.

Are there implications around making freely available mesh files containing what I presume is a copyright logo..? Probably just an area worth thinking about going forward.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
In terms of the stuff in this thread - I intended it more as a way for people to show support of STH, have a bit of free marketing out there if anyone is showing off their stuff. Though obviously if @Patrick was to express any opinion about not wanting them freely released I would honor that. And to be clear, the intent was always to release the mesh(es) for free, I'm not trying to make any profit from this.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
In terms of the stuff in this thread - I intended it more as a way for people to show support of STH, have a bit of free marketing out there if anyone is showing off their stuff. Though obviously if @Patrick was to express any opinion about not wanting them freely released I would honor that. And to be clear, the intent was always to release the mesh(es) for free, I'm not trying to make any profit from this.
I hear ya and don't want to:
a) suggest you would seek to profit from it, or
b) be 'that guy'.

I just know it's a fraught area.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
IMO price of license should be that you need to post pictures of what you make in the STH forums (or elsewhere) :)

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
So there's been a few hints here and there in @Patriot 's recent posts - we've designed a STH branded Raspberry Pi case - should fit a model B+ / 2 / 3. I don't currently have a 3d printer to verify that any of the dimensions are actually correct in the design, but we should have confirmation on that fairly soon. There's currently two versions for the top half of the case, either with or without holes for mounting a 40mm fan. And for now at least there are no holes for accessing any of the expansion ports, but its easy enough to cut those out and make yet another version if required.

For now just a few teaser pics until I'm reasonably sure that the design is correct, after which I will post the mesh files up here as well for anyone who wants them.

Feel free to make any comments/requests, either for alterations to this project, or other STH-branded ideas. Next up on the list is to make a few STH fan grills.
When fit and finish is finalized I'll spring for one case for my PI3

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Well this kinda died off for a while (that seems to happen with a lot of my projects, I need to get distracted by new things less), but since I've now got significantly more R-Pi's than I did before, and as of last week now also finally have my own 3D printer, its back. Yellow was what I happened to have loaded in the printer at the time, so I made one of these:

The process looked something like this:

Finally having a printed result in my own hands, being able to test-fit a Pi myself instead of having to interpret pictures and stuff should make final tuning of the design much easier. There's no Pi in it right now, but I did do a test-fit with my Octo-Pi system and its damn near perfect for a Pi-2, except that I need a slot for the camera cable to make those timelapse videos. But then I'll probably do a slightly customized copy for that particular Pi to mount it to the printer frame somewhere. The two main remaining issues are the micro-SD card slot (perfect for a Pi-2 with the spring-loaded SD slot, but not enough room to get a grip to remove a card from a Pi-3), and the screw holes are way too small for any size screw I have in my junk bin. And as a nice-to-have I might add a little lip all the way around where the two 1/2s join so that they overlap slightly. I also have to assume that the hole spacing for the 40mm fan mount is correct, since I don't have one handy to test fit.

Last edited:

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I haven't yet done test prints of these, but the modifications I've made are small enough from my last tests that I think they'll be OK, and so am sharing them. If you have any problems with them please let me know. I like things to fit pretty snug so I didn't leave a lot of extra tolerance anywhere - if your printer is not well calibrated you might need to use a knife or file or something to make minor adjustments, but printed on my Prusa Original i3 MK2 they fit perfectly.

Two versions of the top half, both with the STH logo cut out. One has holes to mount a 40mm cooling fan, the other is just the logo. If your fan is thin and you haven't put a heatsink on the Pi CPU the fan will probably fit internally, otherwise you'll have to mount it outside - if there's demand I might make a thicker version so that a fan + heatsink can all fit inside.

And two versions of the bottom, the only difference is the cutout for the MicroSD slot. The Pi2 version is just a small cut, and you can eject the card by pressing it with a fingernail or other small object as the Pi2 has a spring-loaded slot. The Pi3 version has a much larger hole cut out and extended through the bottom of the case to give enough room to grab the edge of the card with a fingernail and pull it out. But the position of the slot on the Pi hasn't changed so there's nothing stopping you from using either version of the bottom with either version of Pi.

You will also need to supply 4 screws to hold it all together - M2.5 flat head. I plan on buying a bunch of them in 12mm length and will include them in any I print for people, 8mm is probably about as short as you could go, but you're threading into plastic and they won't have a lot of bite at that length. A couple options for ordering them:

Canada: M2.5-0.45 x 12mm DIN 965 Phillips Drive Flat Head Zinc Finish Steel Machine Screw | Fastenal

US: Metric machine screws, Phillips flat head, Zinc plated class 4.8 steel, 2.5mm x 0.45mm x 12mm - Bolt Depot

Or if you wanted you could get all fancy and spend over $1.00 on screws instead of 20 cents

M2.5-0.45 x 12mm DIN 7991 Hex Drive Class 10.9 Black Oxide Finish Alloy Steel Flat Socket Cap Screw | Fastenal

Hmm..., can't attach .STL files, so all 4 pieces are in one zip.

Edit: Oh - and if you make one, post up a picture here for us all to see.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajgoyt and Patrick

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
I have an RPI 3 running RasPlex in my family of different streamers when your ready I need one of these cases as per mines pretty dull!!!!!

thanks for sharing... AJ

Attachments

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I'd be happy to print you one for just the cost of the raw materials + shipping. But unless you're in Canada it might be cheaper for you to look up a local printer on 3DHubs.com than deal with the international shipping. My slicer software tells me that it'll take about 36.4 grams to print, which at the price of the PETG I've got loaded right now would be $1.46 in material.

Ajgoyt

Apr 20, 2016
I'm in Washington State close to Canada :D So yes I'm game for (two) RPI 3 cases as I am probably going to buy another RPI 3 soon.

let me know how much ? Yellow or?

AJ

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Most of my colors are unavailable at the moment (long story...) I'm doing a black PETG one now for myself and as a final test-print. Once thats done, your options would be the black PETG, or yellow, orange, or wood in PLA (yes, the wood is 40% actual wood, not just brown color). Or black flex-PLA I suppose, but I'm not sure that a flexible R-Pi case would be quite right.

You'll also need to source some screws - M2.5 if I remember right were the biggest ones that would fit through the pi mounting holes. I'll also be verifying that when I finish this print for myself here.