custom nas

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Oct 21, 2015
Italy
www.opensupport.it
I need a new NAS system.
now i use an old qnap TS210 as a nfs/smb share for data transfer and backup.

i have a custom proxmox server that backup on this qnap, now i need to share nfs storage on other machine
for using shared-storage for virtual machine.

i make some test and when i backup or move a lot of data the testing virtual machine"freezzing"
Qnap ts210 have an arm cpu and isn't powerfull to manage throughput that i need... i think.
Someone told me that it is the processor/platform problem because 1gb ethernet connection in sufficient
for manage vm machine on shared disk.

I had the idea to build a more powerfull (but energy save) nas and i show this hardware material

NAS - Basic is a Mini-ITX NAS Solution with AES-Ni for up to 4 drives - nerd-monkey.com

Anyone have build similar and can benchmark the performance?
Mainboard is good for what i need?

tnks

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
It will depend on your usage patterns and use cases, but have you considered to move the disks from the qnap to the ProxMox machine? ProxMox supports ZFS and with a small container you will be able to create a simple NAS. For example I am using TurnKey NAS for this purpose. Considering that your current NAS is not a powerhouse I doubt the NAS role will pose significant additional load on your ProxMox machine.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
It will depend on your usage patterns and use cases, but have you considered to move the disks from the qnap to the ProxMox machine? ProxMox supports ZFS and with a small container you will be able to create a simple NAS. For example I am using TurnKey NAS for this purpose. Considering that your current NAS is not a powerhouse I doubt the NAS role will pose significant additional load on your ProxMox machine.
Ivan Dimitrov >> is ZFS support important for this?
would you mind sharing on how to set it up. meaning how would I pass the data drives into it.

I am trying to rebuild my home server as well , and have been looking for a decent solution.
I plan to use Proxmox for HOST.
but since I have only one machine I need a good option on how to manage and share my data drives which are BTRFS raid-1 pool. ZFS is not overly suited for me as my data drives are mixed in sizes not all of them are pairs.
BTRFS supports this just fine but ZFS, not so much.
the over all setup is
Proxmox VE 4.4 on ZFS raid-1 using 2x120GB SSD disks.
local storage for Host is on System drive + a ZFS raid-1 using 2x1TB spinners. this will hold all the ISO, and templates as well as backups and snapshots. VMs will be on SSDs.

all the data will be on a BTRFS raid-1 or raid-10 pool comprised of 2TB and 3TB drives about 7 or 8 of them 3x3TB and 4 or 5 2TB

thanks.

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
Ivan Dimitrov >> is ZFS support important for this?
would you mind sharing on how to set it up. meaning how would I pass the data drives into it.
In my opinion ZFS is good choice for NAS server. It has multiple benefits that you can google :). Basically you can create simple RAID 1 equivalent very quickly and easily + added data integrity protection which normal RAID 1 is not providing.
What I am doing is that all my storage RAIDZ2 + 2 mirrors + a few single drives are mounted in the ProxMox host. I have an LXC container running samba. The storage is bind mounted to the container. The sharing of the storage is controlled by the LXC container.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
From the tests on the page you linked the cpu does not seem to be taxed too much when being used as SMB filer.. don't think nfs will be much more taxing so you should be fine with that board I'd assume. And its a significantly more modern system so it should be way more powerful than your old qnap.