Custom cooling for the 9361-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I have created two custom heat sinks for the 9361-8i which as soon as they are machined I will be testing one is a 34mm high by 86.4mm long version of the existing heat sink, the other is a custom boxed heat sink again 34mm high 86.4mm long and will run the length of the PCI slot screwing into the full height version of the bracket this boxed sink will also have the necessary mounting for an 80mm fan and will clear the cache vault so will be compatible with it, I do have a design pic so you can have some idea of what it looks like, the edges where you can see gaps in the boxing will be filled with arctic ceramic and allowed to set before being sanded. I will use either arctic silver or cryo grizzly as the thermal compound and the mounting hardware for both sinks will be changed to accommodate the extra weight to ensure it doesn't end up on the ROC, all up my estimates for the weight of this bigger sink is 160gms( yet to be verified) which is nothing when you consider PCIe slots these days support video cards north of a kilogram.
Air flow is down into the hole pushing some air toward the rear boxing, the rest of the air cools the fins for the exhaust and should help drag the warmer air from the front of the sink toward the rear of the case... This is very much experimental and I will post results for you all and if it works out plans on how you can get your own machined, here is hoping i manage to tame the heat on this server grade beast. Untitled.png

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Are you using this in a non server chassis or modified to reduce noise?

There may be other options that could be worth looking into and require less work.

Aluminum 55mm Dual Ball PC VGA Video Graphics Card Heatsinks Cooler Cooling Fan | eBay

PCI Side-blown Graphics card cooling fan mount bracket

Dual Fan Mount Rack PCI Slot Bracket for Video Card +3 80MM PC Case red Fan | eBay

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Design work is already done, engineering work is in progress the idea was simply to see if I personally could do better than the silly little heat sink that comes with the 9361-8i and I'm pretty sure it will, as for those other solutions you mentioned I simply wasn't aware of them but it looks like it could add a fair bit of noise to a system I am about trying to cool it as passively as possible only adding a fan if I really really have to. The chassis is a Xigmatek Elysium and it's massive it can make EATX boards look small so there is plenty of extra air going spare it's just a matter of utilizing it.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
how hot do these things get anyway?
mine runs at 56.c on a a normal day, 64-70 on a warm day but has gotten hotter since I installed the cache vault as the ROC is doing more work, ideally being server grade kit you want to keep it as cool as possible as in servers were noise isn't so much of an issue because it's not sitting on the users desk you should in fact be running 200 linear feet of air per min over the card, obviously this would drive a desktop user nuts so I'm looking for an alternative, and whats shown above is one of two solutions I am having custom engineered.