Current suggestions for DIY JBOD enclosure power board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have a 4U chassis with 24 bays for 3.5" drives currently, but it is short depth at only 550mm. With the hardware raid controller and SAS expander I have, the area for the mobo is pretty cramped, and I am thinking of offloading the compute part of the machine to a seperate chassis.

With that in mind, I needed to investigate a power board for the storage only enclosure, to allow the drives and SAS expander to power up without a mobo and CPU. I saw a suggestion a while back about a supermicro part that would fit the bill, but not sure if there is any current best suggestion on a specific part to use to fit this need?

I can't recall what the supermicro part name was, but if there isn't anything better, that might be something I go for.

Cheers
Eds

Eds89

Feb 21, 2016
You can use
CSE-PTJBOD-CB1, CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 or CSE-PTJBOD-CB3

The v1 can be found for cheap.
Thanks, these are the ones I last saw, so glad to see that they are still currently recommended.
Got to decide if the IPMI and extra fan headers are worth the big bugs for the CB3.

I have the 24 port intel SAS expander as well, and wondering if the CB3 can be connected to that via i2c, as my backplane doesn't have any i2c connections (cheap case).