Current server pricing?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Y0s

Feb 25, 2021
Hi,

I'm interested in approx/range pricing everyone else is paying for a standard (non-vsan) VM server? The latest quote I have through my regular purchase channel is pretty close to list? I know the supply channel is an unprecedented mess right now, but suspect we could do (much) better? Fortunately this purchase isn't urgent.

This is the spec I provided:

Quantity 10
2U server
Two 32 core CPU (Intel Ice Lake or AMD Milan)
512 GB RAM (16x32GB DIMMs)
Mellanox 25gbe NIC
NVME frontplane
Dual hot-swap power supplies
RAID 1 NVME OS disks

Thanks!

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
I'm interested in approx/range pricing everyone else is paying for a standard (non-vsan) VM server? The latest quote I have through my regular purchase channel is pretty close to list? I know the supply channel is an unprecedented mess right now, but suspect we could do (much) better? Fortunately this purchase isn't urgent.
What brands? You want barebones or already build?

Y0s

Feb 25, 2021
Shop around... at qty 10 nobody is paying "close to list" unless you live in Antarctica where there is only one vendor.
Yeah thanks, I've been getting other quotes. Our VAR is definitely quoting high, should be $10-12K/server. Now I just have to get something through the purchasing department.

On a related note, what's a good ballpark price per brand-name 100 gbps port (including os licensing/support)? We're about 3x times the white box equivalent from FS. With redundant pairs, reserving ports for MLAG, uplink etc it's getting expensive...

Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
For networking I shun whitebox, because when things go south in whatever shape or form, I want reliable software and hardware support by the switch vendor. Especially at 100 Gbps. Seen too many products quickly slapped together in Shenzhen and some back alley guy gets the silicon vendor's SDK, changes a couple of strings and that is then delivered. Meanwhile all silicon has bugs that needs good engineering from the software side to step around those. That's what you pay for. Gut says fs.com does not have that. Just my 2 cents from my own experience of course YMMV.

Can't quote you a price per 100 Gbps port, because while I really like Arista, and Mellanox, and cheap Cisco cables, I am the guy who buys 20k Arista switches for 500 fiat on ebay when they are written off and EOL. But those are 10/40 Gbps devices.

Reactions: tinfoil3d and Y0s

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
What about Arista DCS-7060CX-32S-F 32 PORT 100GBE QSFP+ 7060X 2x PWR-500AC-F | eBay for $6.6k, looks complete except for the part of the rail kit that goes into the rack. If $14k for two 32-port 100 Gbps Aristas is over budget, then something is wrong with the budget, or expectations. ;-) No clue if this is a reputable seller though. For such an item I would always call them up directly and talk to them to see what they can tell me about the device. If it's a clueless box pusher shop, I'd buy elsewhere. For example ask them about software updates. Normally you need an A-Care contract https://www.arista.com/assets/data/pdf/A-CareServicesOverview.pdf but that is only available if you bought the switch directly from Arista or an authorized reseller. Hobbyists seem to lean towards downloads and sighting SHA-256 checksums. Depending on the shop you work for and jurisdiction you are in, this may or may not be a problem.

Y0s

Feb 25, 2021