Current AEON profitability

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I thought the purpose of this thread was to track profit over time. Quite interesting now to see how the rewards have changed.

Reactions: Joel

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
That's true, it would certainly be nice for a service like Whattomine to track historical profitability of hardware on a graph. I can see why they don't though as it would be a bucket of cold water on many people's capital investment ideas...

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
According to our pool webpage 1 kh = .16 coins multiply that by the current price 2.95/coin, so no its not $2.35 per day. That required around 5.5kh rate.
Thank you for laying that out for me. I am so confused when it comes to calculating the profits using processing power.

Do all the pools pay different for the same coin ? Can I use that same equation and apply it to any pool to see what gross figure I could get paid ?

jims2321

Jul 7, 2013
Actually its the exchanges that determine the value of the coin. I have seen between Bittrex and HitBTC for aeon upwards of $.25 difference on those two exchanges. As for what our pool page shows, not sure the source of the coin value Patrick could answer that.

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I understand that a bitcoin's value to USD is different than a monero value to USD, and that relies on the exchange. After I have .1 bitcoin or .1 monero in whatever wallet, it is up to me to figure how how many other people/service/exchange have to fee's and what tour my wallet has to take to eventually land back to the place where my bills could actually be paid using USD.

What I do not understand, is how the different pools calculate what is in my XMR/monero wallet after I run cryptonight for 24 hours.

If I mine @ 1,000 kh monero XMR on "joe-pool.com" for 24 hours, and then do the same machine the next day @ 1,000 kh XMR on "jayne-pool.com" for 24 hours. Outside of the fee's that are involved, I am talking a gross figures here. So out of the two tests, do the two pools I mine using the same cryptonight application on same machine, (and provided no unusual network clogging or other anomalous interference).

Is this a standard thing - or does it vary from pool-to-pool?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@DrStein99 mining involves luck. If you had the same hashrate on two pools over a long enough time you would expect them to be the same.

There are other factors. A prime one is that some pools experience (a lot of) downtime

Reactions: pgh5278

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I don't normally do single day updates but $0.49 to $0.53 is an 8% increase in a single day. Difficulty stayed flat, price went up.

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
@DrStein99 mining involves luck.
I tried to mine xmr on one pool long ago and then discovered I had to mine a whole come before I could be paid.I can't remember which one it was.

So I try this supporting pool which has minimum of .1 xmr payout, but it is taking my machines too long to make .1 xmr

Now after I get confused again by the vague and directions on the screen dated 2016 at miningpoolhub, it seems that one is counting up the xmr fairly, but wants to charge .012 fee to withdrawal, so the booby trap again.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@DrStein99 one of the hardest things to do is waiting to accumulate versus pulling sums out every day. Our Aeon pool has smaller payout thresholds.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I tried to mine xmr on one pool long ago and then discovered I had to mine a whole come before I could be paid.I can't remember which one it was.

So I try this supporting pool which has minimum of .1 xmr payout, but it is taking my machines too long to make .1 xmr

Now after I get confused again by the vague and directions on the screen dated 2016 at miningpoolhub, it seems that one is counting up the xmr fairly, but wants to charge .012 fee to withdrawal, so the booby trap again.
Converting crypto to your local fiat currency is definitely a balancing act. Every time you make a transaction, you pay a fee (sometimes pretty hefty depending on the coin used). Move crypto from wallet to exchange, you pay a fee. Exchange from one coin to another, pay a fee. Etc.

So then to reduce the fees in percentage terms requires being patient and making fewer overall transactions.

I'm mostly interested in the passive income factor, so I withdraw frequently. I have found the best situation for me is Nicehash for now(affectionately referred to as Nicehack around here for obvious reasons). While I may not be getting the crazy appreciation of the smaller coins, I'm also not paying as much in fees, since they pay in BTC and have fee-free withdrawals to Coinbase for the time being. When that changes, I will reevaluate.

Reactions: Patrick

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I can not figure out, knife-ass pays me in 2 days what the online hashrate XMR calculator comes up with for 1 WEEK! It took me a while to figure out. My machines were running and I log in 12 hours later. 3k h/s constant work they have done was something like $.50 !?!??!? experiment: fail.

I now only use my small test machines to see what type of booby-trap I am getting into to test a new pool (lesson learned), how they will account my hash time/power, pay-outs, etc... Still I do not know how this math works out, since the XMR pay for me has not even been close to half of knife-ass cryptonight pay rate.

I do not have a problem with what knife-ass is paying me, but of course I want more. My smaller machines do not even "ACCEPT BLOCK" when I connect to knife-ass - from what I understand is the level of difficulty (one of many concerns). Why someone else by now has not coded a proxy to divide difficulty for knife-ass between the local machine network, I have no idea . The proxy has to be equal-to or greater difficulty than just buying more computers and passively managing their inefficiencies. The consistency with XMR processing is good -vs- knife-ass is a little un-predictable and needs my human supervision.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Updated again today. Now it's $0.61/day creepin' on up.

I was looking at @Marsh comment #20 on this thread. Dec 30 hash rate jumped to 27MH/s. It's at 28-29MH/s now. That's flat!

On cryptunit it's now even with ETN if you're getting 3.2:1 CNL:CN or better and the only one better are two mega small coins at 1MH/s that are prob just pump and dumps.

Aeon is back!

Reactions: aij

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
So this "27MH/s" & "28-29MH/s" - is that the whole speed of the crypto-nut pool? The combined speed of everyone in the world trying to mine? Is this the number that affects everyone's rate of pay ? It would explain WHY every time I add a few more huge machines to mine, the rate magically appears to be reduced to the same end-of-week total, that I got the week before I added more expensive machines.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
It would explain WHY every time I add a few more huge machines to mine, the rate magically appears to be reduced to the same end-of-week total, that I got the week before I added more expensive machines.
1MH/s aeon is like $1.5M worth of Platinum 8180's excluding the servers, ram drives and power. If you're talking huge machines, moving by 1 MH/s takes a cluster of huge machines and $8-10K/mo in power for a small/ medium coin like Aeon.

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I do not have a huge machine, this was my mistake. Huge for me, was over 1kh/s. If I had many clusters to go over 1mh/s, I am very certain mining to someone else's crypto-nut pool would probably be not as profitable as other options, like running it's own pool.

1kh/s to me is a large machine, and a small machine (to me) would be 500h/s.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I do not have a huge machine, this was my mistake. Huge for me, was over 1kh/s. If I had many clusters to go over 1mh/s, I am very certain mining to someone else's crypto-nut pool would probably be not as profitable as other options, like running it's own pool.

1kh/s to me is a large machine, and a small machine (to me) would be 500h/s.
It doesn't take much to get 1kh aeon. i5-7600 or something similar would do the trick.

1MH/s aeon is like $1.5M worth of Platinum 8180's excluding the servers, ram drives and power. If you're talking huge machines, moving by 1 MH/s takes a cluster of huge machines and $8-10K/mo in power for a small/ medium coin like Aeon.
Could be done for $200k with E5v2, all in. Would fill 7 full server racks, so probably $10k/mo in colo costs.

At that volume you'd probably move the market when buying hardware though.

Reactions: pgh5278