Curiosity - Intel Xeon Phi Processor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
Hello all, I came across this interesting chip recently and wanted to see what information you all may know about this chip and if it is usable in any new systems that have come out recently, or any slated to come out soon.

This appears to be an Intel Xeon Phi Processor (as it says it on the heat-shield), but I don't know the exact make/model of it. (All I know is that it's most likely named Knight's Landing after searching around)

I saw Patrick had a post recently about the new socket for these types of processors as well.

Please let me know if you have any interesting information about this and/or any ideas for potentially getting some use out of it.

Here's what it looks like:
Xeon Phi Processor

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That label on the heat shield was put there for photos. Likely that has been handled by lots of people in non-ESD safe environments.

We have a 4 node system that I could try it in if you wanted. I have a sense it may not work just based on that label. Need to pull that label off to get more information to determine what it is.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Usually you should see some. The other question is whether it is a usable chip or is something like a thermal load chip.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
A couple of quick questions, if you don't mind:
  • In the event this is a functional chip, do you think it has any practical use in a home-lab environment?
  • Do you believe this chip has any sort of value, and if so, would this be something worth selling v.s. keeping in a home lab?
  • Lastly to tie things up with a big question you don't need to answer, what do you think I should do with this?
This kind of chip is entirely foreign to me, so I'm pretty much grasping at straws.

Thanks again for your help!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
John let me take those in turn:
  • Unless you have HPC type applications, no. They use a ton of power and there are a lot of better chips if you do not need it.
  • Yikes. At this point all you really know is you have a KNL package. Given that sticker and what I have seen them used for, I would be surprised if it works. Without markings, it is hard to even tell which SKU it is. If it was a functional CPU and was a late stepping/ near retail chip it is probably worth over $1000. Otherwise, it is worth $50-100.
  • Depends on how much time/ money you want to spend investigating what the chip is.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
Thank you, your answers really give me a better idea of what to do going forward.

I should mention that I do have an HP node server that I found this in (the board is really similar to the Adam's Pass boards I saw while researching, but is an HP variant). It has the special heat-sink that I saw in your YouTube video as well.

I would really like to have it tested to see if it has any value at this point, but I don't have the proper power supplies to power up this multi-node chassis that I found it's server in. Any chance I could ship it and pay STH to have it tested? I fully understand if it isn't worth the time.