Cult of the SC846? Modding for lower temperature and quiter operation.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I'm intrigued by the activity of modding particular SC846 PSU's to turn them into quiet chassis that is suitable for building a quiet home server. Am I right that this is a thing, or have I been imagining something else?

Here is an example chassis of the kind I mean: SuperChassis 846BE16-R920B . Apparently the mods concern swapping the fans out for quieter ones; filling only about half of the available drive bays to keep temps low and aid airflow by controlling pressure gradients; and potentially even swapping out the 920-SQ PSU's for an ATX PSU is the 920-SQ PSU's are still not quiet enough.

Does this ring any bells for anybody here?

If yes, could somebody please point me to some modding guides or threads?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I dont think there is a guide per sé, but threads

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/6zo1br

jrdnlc

Jun 26, 2015
I have the SQ power supplies on my case with the SM quieter fans. Case is silent
If you won't be using all drive bays at onces make sure u put some dummy caddies in them so airflow is only pulled through the hotswap bays that do have a drive in them. It makes a 5-10c difference depending on your ambient temp

If you want to use 120mm fans that is also possible with a 3d printed bracket I can print and sell.

Reactions: ullbeking

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I have the SQ power supplies on my case with the SM quieter fans. Case is silent
If you won't be using all drive bays at onces make sure u put some dummy caddies in them so airflow is only pulled through the hotswap bays that do have a drive in them. It makes a 5-10c difference depending on your ambient temp
Which exact model of SC846 and PSU's do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I'm very tempted to get an SC846 with a BE2 expander backplane and 920-SQ PSU's.

If you want to use 120mm fans that is also possible with a 3d printed bracket I can print and sell.
This is the magic icing on the cake, isn't it? Is this where you replace the wall of stock fans in the middle of the case with Noctua's? I'd very interested to find out more about your 3d printed bracket.

Also, I'm curious about how heavy a 4U server is for a single person to lift..? Until now I haven't moved anything heavier than twin-node 2U X9 servers. And they are heavy.

Last edited:

jrdnlc

Jun 26, 2015
Which exact model of SC846 and PSU's do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I'm very tempted to get an SC846 with a BE2 expander backplane and 920-SQ PSU's.
It's just a regular SC846. What do u mean by exact model? I have the SAS3 backplane. PSU's are 920-SQ. I have two but only use one since my servers are connected to a battery backup unit.

This is the magic icing on the cake, isn't it? Is this where you replace the wall of stock fans in the middle of the case with Noctua's? I'd very interested to find out more about your 3d printed bracket.

Also, I'm curious about how heavy a 4U server is for a single person to lift..? Until now I haven't moved anything heavier than twin-node 2U X9 servers. And they are heavy.
Correct. The printed bracket allows you to remove the current 80mm wall bracket. 4U servers are heavy but all depends on how many drives it's populated with.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If you remove drives and PSU its okish.
O/c its always fun trying to put it back in the rack when those drive rails bend and move away as if they were alive, but you'll manage. Unless you have back issues then you shouldnt do it alone.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah I must have left mine in the car...

kidding, you are absolutely right o/c

• Haha
Reactions: itronin

kapone

May 23, 2015
You should never mount a 4+ u chassis alone/without a server lift...
omg.jpg

I must be in the minority then... :O I have racked Chenbro 48 bay 4U chassis all by myself...and I don't consider myself physically stronger than average (~5'10" 170 lbs). I AM fit per se and do take out all HDDs before racking, but still, those chassis can be ~100lbs.

Snide Remark: Dudes...if you can't lift 100lbs... :D:D I'm kidding, you should certainly be careful, but if you can, it's not that bad.