CTS media converter Fiber to Ethernet vs FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 5490 Fiber

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Denniz

Jul 4, 2021
Hello,

I'm preparing my new server setup. Bought already MikroTik RB4011iGS+RM as a router.
Right now the provider asks if I want a CTS media converter Fiber to Ethernet or a FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 5490 Fiber.

What do you think, what would be the better (more stable) solution? Actually the provider said, that it might be better to use the FRITZ!Box in bridge mode, although I'm not so sure about it, since had bad experience when using it as a router.

Thanks a lot for any hint!

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
I would go with whatever before using a Fritz!box. They might be the shittiest network products out there.

My personal experience with CTS products is that they work really great.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
I also opt out of Fritz!box whenever i can. I'm currently on a vodafone docsis network and prefer their cheap default box in bridge-mode over the Fritz!box.

Are you required to use CTS media converter or can you just plugin a module (that would sit in the media converter) directly to your router / switch?
Edit: your Router does have a SFP+ port, but I'm not familiar with the device, don't know if this could take a sfp+ module from your provider instead of converting to copper ethernet first.

Last edited:

Denniz

Jul 4, 2021
Exactly this is what I was thinking as well, that it might be possible to plugin the fiber directly to the router.
Basically in that case it would be better to take the FritzBox and use it as an access point.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever you do, don't use the Fritz!box, not even as an access point.

Check out the Ruckus thread in this forum :)

Denniz

Jul 4, 2021
Would TL-WR841N (the cheapest) Router be better than Fritz!box ? Actually that is my setup right now. Also think that the RB4011iGS+RM doesn't need a router. But just in case I am allowed to get a Fritz!Box 5490 or CVT 3112W2A. Maybe will just go with the converter. Although Fritz!Box seems to be a bit more expensive.