CSE847 Won't Post

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
Picked up a CSE847 and I can't get it to start. I get a quick flicker on the front panel leds every 5 seconds or so.

Xeon L5640 CPUs

Memory PC3-10600R DDR3-1333
M393B1K70CH0-CH9Q5

I believe both of these components should be compatible. Decided to remove CPU2 and try it with only one ram stick. Still no luck. The PSU fan is spinning and I can see an LED on the backplane that flashes but nothing else. I've tried one PSU, both PSU, swapped for one or the other. No luck. Any other thoughts on troubleshooting?

I know I have no ram installed in the video. Exhibiting the same behavior regardless if its one psu, both psus, 2 cpus, 1 cpu, 2 sticks of ram, 1 stick of ram no ram...

Last edited:

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
Tried out IPMI and it's a no go. Network lights turn on for a fraction of a second and then cut out. I unplugged the power supply to motherboard cables and tried to jump start the PSU. Only one pin supplies 5V on entire 24 Pin ATX plug. So it's either the power distribution unit kicked the bucket or maybe I have a short somewhere.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Just noticed a video. That does look like electrical issue rather than software/firmware. Since MB has standard atx power, try your flight-proven PSUs from other computers.

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
unplugged everything coming from the power distribution unit and still no proper voltage. So its either both of the PSUs which to me is unlikely or its the power distribution board. My bet is on the power distribution board.

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
Just noticed a video. That does look like electrical issue rather than software/firmware. Since MB has standard atx power, try your flight-proven PSUs from other computers.
I'll give that a go tomorrow morning. What a pain on a server I just purchased. Hopefully the seller will take care of me on this.

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
Well I tried a good psu and same thing. Looked closer at the paperclip I was using and there is a plastic coating. Got another one and the power supply that came with the system is good. I was able to force start the PSU and the fans spun up that were attached to the backplane. So that's good news.

Problem is I still can't start the mobo. Wondering if the Xeon L5640 CPUs I got are compatible? I would imagine they would be since they are Xeon 5600s but maybe the bios version it has doesn't support them? Any other thoughts?

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
MB should start and at least beep that no cpu found or something. Also ipmi should boot too.
OK. That's good to know. I'll get a hold of the seller tomorrow regarding this.

I tried to get the ipmi up and running but my DHCP server doesn't show a lease for it. I'm not sure how to connect to it if I don't know the IP. I used IPMIView to scan and it didn't find anything.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
try tcpdump on that DHCP server machine and see if you get anything after powering the motherboard. it should show at least something as almost all network devices make some noise when they boot.

infidelkastro

Mar 22, 2021
North Carolina
Problem is I still can't start the mobo. Wondering if the Xeon L5640 CPUs I got are compatible? I would imagine they would be since they are Xeon 5600s but maybe the bios version it has doesn't support them? Any other thoughts?
I had a similar issue (psu audibly kicks on, backplane LED flahes once, and fans start to spin up for a little, but then system powers down before post or leaving ipmi event logs) a while back with an X10SLH supermicro board. Turned out the CPU I had in it was the problem. Make sure your board supports those Xeons, and if so, whether they're functional. Do you have access to another system you can try them in?

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
I had a similar issue (psu audibly kicks on, backplane LED flahes once, and fans start to spin up for a little, but then system powers down before post or leaving ipmi event logs) a while back with an X10SLH supermicro board. Turned out the CPU I had in it was the problem. Make sure your board supports those Xeons, and if so, whether they're functional. Do you have access to another system you can try them in?
I appreciate that. I purchased this from the server store and they said it likely needs a bios update and will need a 5500 processor to flash the bios with. I'm going to see if I can find something locally to throw in and give a whirl. I unfortunately don't have another system to try these CPUs in.

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
Tried out a pair of 5500 series xeon processors and it exhibited the same behavior. Spoke with the seller and they are sending out a new motherboard. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

infidelkastro

Mar 22, 2021
North Carolina
I purchased this from the server store
Good seller.

Tried out a pair of 5500 series xeon processors and it exhibited the same behavior. Spoke with the seller and they are sending out a new motherboard. Hopefully this fixes the issue.
Before writing off the board and for good measure, I would try to run it one more time after removing it from the chassis (to rule out a possible short caused by a misplaced standoff or something).

radian23

Jan 29, 2021
Good seller.

Before writing off the board and for good measure, I would try to run it one more time after removing it from the chassis (to rule out a possible short caused by a misplaced standoff or something).
That's a good idea and I need to remove the motherboard anyways. I'll give that a go and if it works out looks like I'll have a spare mobo.