CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lumdol

Jun 9, 2016
Hello all,

Frequent lurker here. I think first time posting.

Gradually putting together a larger post with my complete build, however I have a couple of loose ends.

I’ve reviewed some of the threads on the CB3 but some info I haven’t found or I haven’t seen a direct comparison in my use case.

Most importantly, haven’t been able to locate this info in particular: Can anyone provide exact dimensions of the CB3 JBOD? Have a 23.5” chassis and need to make the most of it. I have about the length of a 36 port intel expander to work with.

And perhaps some comparisons between it and the CB1 in a DIY JBOD configuration?

Presently using ZFS on OS X to manage an enclosure housing 36 2.5” disks while using the CB1 in concert with a fan controller to dial in a decent temp / noise ratio. Replaced the San Aces with Noctua fans. Currently have 5 fans on the hot swaps, two shoed onto Intel expander cards, plus a main chassis exhaust. It’s not running 24/7 high duty with VMs, mostly used as a backup location, media server, etc.

So, fan duty is obviously different during rsync transfers (cron jobs) or scrubs than at idle and the manual fan controller presently doesn’t cover that.

I’m thinking of pulling the fan controller and either making use of the M28SACB PWM ports and integrated temp monitoring or perhaps using the CB3.

The price is secondary to if it will fit and the health of my disks obviously considering the CB3 doesn’t seem like a large cost in contrast to the whole enchilada.

Am I better off managing with IPMI?

How does a PWM fan (Noctua A4x20 or A4x10) connected to the M28SACB PWM port compare to the CB3?

Since I don’t have a backplane, I’m assuming I can’t send the temps of the M28SACB to the CB3 without removing the fan and backplate?

Where does the temp control take place? Wouldn’t I want the primary fan control

And, what kind of features can I expect rigging the CB3 to the Intel Expanders?

Anything I’m missing?

Would prefer to not make my chassis into more of a Swiss cheese than it already is, so I’ll do things a bit differently this time and ask questions first.

Thanks for your time.

lumdol

Jun 9, 2016
PS

I’m running 30x 7200rpm Hitachi 7K1000 in 6 vdevs of raidz1, two hot spares, 4 ssds.