CSE-M28SACB fan

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
Hello!,

I got a CSE-M28SACB disk cage, it sports a super noisy fan. Given it's mounted in a P4000M Intel chassis with air ducts and stock fans, would it be possible to just remove the cage fan?.

It's super tiny & noisy, interestingly though, I've seen pictures of the cage without the fan and the back cover (PCB exposed).

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
See the manual, section 3-4. JP802 disables the fan. The CSE-M28SACB-OEM part is exactly the same, but without the fan and cover on the back, so it should be fine to just remove the whole rear cover and fan, and switch the jumper (see section 4-4).

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It depends :D
These cages were made for the 743/745/747 chassis from supermicro.

If I hold my hand in front of my 745 where the odd bays are (or the hdd cage would be) I can feel air being pulled through the chassis. I think your p4000m should also be able to pull enough air to cool the devices in that cage (unless you modded/replaced the fans/use a fan controller)

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
As of today, stock fans & ducts.

I'm looking forward to discard the Intel motherboard, which might trigger duct discarding (seems Supermicro socket alignment are not the same as my s2600cp2j). But that's a different quest...

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

Just for Christmas.

On some CSE745 chassis, I made the fan on a M14T-B much more acceptable for use in an office by powering the 12v pin on the fan with 5v from the floppy disk connector. I used a single M to F jumper lead.

It is easy to do, the fan runs slower, the alarm stays silent and is easy to undo if you need to revert.

Good luck.

RedX1

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Hello

Just for Christmas.

On some CSE745 chassis, I made the fan on a M14T-B much more acceptable for use in an office by powering the 12v pin on the fan with 5v from the floppy disk connector. I used a single M to F jumper lead.

It is easy to do, the fan runs slower, the alarm stays silent and is easy to undo if you need to revert.

Good luck.

RedX1
Heh, I actually bought a CSE-745 without realizing it was so old it had 3-pin fans. I "controlled" them by using one of these but modified to plug into 5v instead of 12v.