CSE-846 questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I replaced with the goal of using the 920 Platinum SQ as you suggest, but ended up getting the 1k28 SQ for $65 shipped. I am seeking the least noise possible, as this will be in the office / guest room. I also need this to be silent when powered off, and my understanding is only the SQ series turn the fan off when the system is off but power is still applied (I read this about the 920SQ but could not verify for the 1k28SQ, hopefully they are the same in that way). I plan to power this system off when I need to my office very quiet and I do not want to have to unplug it every time. Eventual load will be 2xL5640, 12 DIMMs, 16 drives, 2x H310, and a dual port 10gbe card. I know the 920SQ would support that, but the 1k28 SQ keeps overall load closer to that 40% you mention, plus the PSU was half what a 920SQ costs.
I mean: you are wasting $20 to get PDB (power distribution board). you can use dremell to remove extra PCB tongue on 12K8 platinum psu.

buying platinum is kind of gambling, last deal that I got $44(make offer)+$20(shipping) for two 500W Platinum. I posted on great deal sub forum :D

920SQ turns off the fan when is off, 920 non SQ will spin fan in low rpm.

I do not 1k28SQ, this will turn off the fan completely or not when is off.

I saw 920 platinum for $50 and was not bother to post :). would post if the price was $30-$40 range

when is running. those platinum will create friendly humming noise from psu fan.

just a note:
for switching on-off, I have APC PDU 7900 :). that can remotely (via script, web, telnet/ssh) turns on/off connector port switches individually.

leon_pro

Nov 3, 2017
Hello everyone. I just got my sc846 and I'm thinking about getting quieter PSUs. Currently I can get >1200w sq ones cheaper than 920sq, but it won't fit my PDU. So I'm thinking about REPLACING PDU CONNECTORS rather than cutting something. Anyway, I'll mod it to add more power connectors for SSDs.
Does anybody know part numbers for that? Or got a good photo of 2824 connectors?