CSE-836 + CSE-PTJBOD-CB1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Hi,

I bought a CSE-836 and a CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 for make a DAS Storage expansion.

I tried to install the CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 but didn't find the correct place for fix it.

I have on the chassis
- small holes where i can put small screw holder that can receive a screw (green mark on the photo)
- bigger holes (in diameter) but not really depth and a metal plate under (red mark on the photo).

i was able to find the correct screw-layout for the PTJBOD only with bigger holes.
I don't know how i can use them (i don't know if it's possible....)

What do you recommend ? i'm a bit confused.

Reactions: eduncan911

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I tried to install the CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 but didn't find the correct place for fix it.

I have on the chassis
- small holes where i can put small screw holder that can receive a screw (green mark on the photo)
- bigger holes (in diameter) but not really depth and a metal plate under (red mark on the photo).

i was able to find the correct screw-layout for the PTJBOD only with bigger holes.
I don't know how i can use them (i don't know if it's possible....)
According to the manual (attached), the holes you have marked in red are the correct locations. They are processor heatsink mounting holes and use a larger thread standoff and screw. I assume you got the chassis used, since I see a SATA cable and a number of standoffs / screws already installed (like the one you circled in green). So you may not have the appropriate hardware.

Unfortunately, Supermicro pays great attention to their hardware, but somewhat less to their manuals (the chassis has each of the holes labeled with a letter for easy identification, but while the current manual has 20 pages of translated safety warnings it doesn't mention them at all). Worse, the manual used to have some info about them, but removed it in later versions.

My SC836 (a much newer model) came with a bag of motherboard hardware (labeled "M/B") which included standoffs with M5 x 0.8 threads on the motherboard side and 6-32 (inch) threads on the motherboard side, so that may be the size standoff you need for those holes.

2016-03-26_20-34-04.jpg 2016-03-26_21-10-00.jpg

Attachments

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Thanks a lot for you help.
I have now to find a place to buy. I done a quick search and have hard to find a standoff reference and a place to buy from france.

If i understand well, in UNC metrics i need a standoff that convert a thread to 10-24 to 6-32 ?
(i used this Tech Stuff - Mechanical - Threads) for considering M5-0.8 to a 10-24 UNC

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
If i understand well, in UNC metrics i need a standoff that convert a thread to 10-24 to 6-32 ?
(i used this Tech Stuff - Mechanical - Threads) for considering M5-0.8 to a 10-24 UNC
No, you need a standoff with M5-0.8 on the male end and 6-32 on the female end. No 10-24 anywhere. You might try emailing Supermicro Europe at the address you can find on this page (not going to post it directly because of spam harvesters). They've (at least in the US) been quite good about sending out oddball small parts. These are in the "M/B" accessory hardware bag for an SC836 chassis (and, presumably, many others as well).

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
Thank you for posting that info. I have a couple of SC486 JBOD chassis that came with just four of the stand-offs for the power control board, but I wanted to use EATX boards in one of them and could not find a good description of what the standoff were called and the sizes. Like you said, the manuals are helpful but sometime lack little details like that.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
i contacted the EU support.
They forward it to the RMA service that checked the warranty of my chassis.
Without any surprise, it is not under warranty and didn't help me.... i reply a last time to ask what i can do as alternative...

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I had the last reply from SM.
The CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 is not intended to be sell separately and they don't have Part Number for the required standoffs.
For theses reasons, they don't want to support this case.... that's end....

So now, i don't know what i can do next.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I had the last reply from SM.
The CSE-PTJBOD-CB1 is not intended to be sell separately and they don't have Part Number for the required standoffs.
For theses reasons, they don't want to support this case.... that's end....
You should have just said something like "I'm changing the motherboard in my 836 and the new one is larger. I didn't keep the extra screws, can you sell me the motherboard mounting hardware package?"

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
You should have just said something like "I'm changing the motherboard in my 836 and the new one is larger. I didn't keep the extra screws, can you sell me the motherboard mounting hardware package?"
Maybe it's what i should do.... it's a bit hard to do it now :-/

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I tried another round with "how can i purchase a "M/B" screws bag from a CSE-836TQ ?" and have this response in substance :"no way, thank you, bye".

So now, i'm a bit disappointed...

Airbozo

Apr 13, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains
Contact a local Supermicro integrator/reseller and not Supermicro directly. They most likely throw away the hardware you need (I did at my last job). If you were in the US, I could send you the needed items once I dug through my spares.

Reactions: nephri

Ryan Flagler

Aug 23, 2016
Anyone else have access to these? I tried contacting my MidWest regional SuperMicro dealer, the one I actually bought my JBOD board from and they don't seem to know what these screws are.