CSE-826E16-R500LPB power

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SyberWraith

Dec 30, 2020
Hey,
I could really use some help here.

I purchased a Supermicro CSE-826E16-R500LPB 2U Server Chassis 2x 500W 12-Bay BPN-SAS2-826EL1, and it's been working fine in my rack. I had the power in my basement upgraded to 2 separate circuits in my server closet, and since then I've been having some problems (not sure if related, but the info can't hurt). for some reason, the server will randomly just power off, no clicks, no pops, no noise, just off. When I tried to turn it back on, nothing, check the back of the server, and the PSU's lights are amber. I unplugged them waited a bit, plugged them back in, still amber, unplugged from the server AND from the PDU, started to plug back, and got the beep that only 1 PSU was plugged in, awesome, power on, all good, for a couple of days.

Powered off again, tried the same things, nothing, jerry-rigged a standard ATX power supply to the hardware and everything was working fine, figured it was the PSU's, replaced the PSU's in the server, no luck, same thing.

just recently the server powered off with the standard ATX power supply plugged in, so I hit the switch on the ATX power supply waited 30 seconds, turned it back on, and saw a flash of led and then nothing

replaced the power distributor in the chassis, replaced the core components in the chassis, and put the chassis's PSUs back in place, and they are still amber, not sure what's going on since I've replaced those, and the distributor.

original core was an MSI X470 Gaming MB, and a Ryzen 5 1600AF, and 32GB of DDR43200

the current core is an MSI 970 Gaming MB, with an FX-8350 and 16GB DDR31800

and just so it's there, power goes: Circuit 1 -> UPS -> PDU1 -> Server
I've tried my other PDU and a direct connection to circuit 1 and 2

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Is your UPS pure sine wave? if not, it could be conflicting with the PFC power supply and can cause this behavior.

SyberWraith

Dec 30, 2020
I think I found the problem a couple of nigthts ago, a stand off was causing the problem and making a short on the MB. So far so good, and with the server power supplies as well.