CSE-216 with passive HSF?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
I have a Supermicro CSE-216 and am getting ready to buy some HSF units for my two E5-2630L CPUs. I am using a Supermicro board but it's not on the compatibility list for this chassis and I have no shroud to use. I am wondering if I were to use a passive heatsink like the SNK-P0048PS to keep noise down, would the heat tend to get too high? It will only have SSD drives in the chassis and will have 256gb of RAM. No other modifications to the chassis have been done so it's stock Nidec fans. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Oh, by the way, ambient room temp is between 77-80 degrees F. Opinions and personal experience anecdotes would be welcome! Thanks!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It may work ok, but you really need the shroud if you are going to use a passive HSF in that case.

Last edited:

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I am wondering if I were to use a passive heatsink like the SNK-P0048PS to keep noise down, would the heat tend to get too high?
Those Supermicro cases are designed for the typical server case airflow design. Intake fans on the front side and exhaust fans on the back side. In the middle goes a passively cooled CPU heatsink. Your CPU wouldn't be properly cooled without an air shroud. I wouldn't run it without one.

I have no shroud to use.
Here is a part number for the Supermicro CSE-216: MCP-310-29001-0N