Crypto Blood Bath? Mining ideas...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I'm curious why you think other coins would have any value at all if one coin ever actually became successful (however unlikely that actually is).
people will want to get to BTC and will do so through some altcoin, hopefully through some which I own. Once BTC and the other popular coins rise I can trade up to BTC and then to cash. Or straight to cash.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
One interesting theory I heard in airports today is that the big banks put pressure on retail consumers to drive wins on futures bets.

At least entertaining as a theory.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
One interesting theory I heard in airports today is that the big banks put pressure on retail consumers to drive wins on futures bets.
Yes, it must be a conspiracy. Could not possibly be the banks not wanting to be left holding the bag of speculation losses.

ServeTheSam

Dec 10, 2017

At least entertaining as a theory.
I wish it were just a theory. Also to consider is big firms and/or those with huge positions applying pressure on the futures themselves to drive prices where they want them to be as settlement approaches. There are numerous ways to achieve this and I’ve seen it happen consistently.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Could Price Manipulation Be Killing Bitcoin?
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/02/could-price-manipulation-be-killing-bitcoin
Worries Grow That the Price of Bitcoin Is Being Propped Up
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/technology/bitfinex-bitcoin-price.html
The massive sell-off appears to have been spurred by fears of a regulatory crackdown, as well as concerns about market manipulation. A new report from The New York Times this week suggests that Bitfinex, a virtual exchange, and its currency, Tether, have been helping to artificially prop up the value of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Wouldn't surprise me at all if they do. Every time the markets go down there's always some "issue" with withdrawals or some site being down... I suspect that's the real reason why Nicehash forgot to payout yesterday.

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
Wow just checked my vega box mining sumo - 8h = 2.49 sumo * current price = $8.06. I was getting up to $30 a day. 4-6 sumo and they price had reached $11.

Also FYI for the first time in 6-8 weeks my deal alerts hit for 1070 cards. Not sure if it’s an anomaly or a trend

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Sumo isn't the best cryptonight coin these days according to WTM. That said, since the profitability is in the toilet it's getting awfully tempting to start selling GPUs while the market is good. I think that's the smart money right now, frankly.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Sumo isn't the best cryptonight coin these days according to WTM. That said, since the profitability is in the toilet it's getting awfully tempting to start selling GPUs while the market is good. I think that's the smart money right now, frankly.
I would agree, but you also need to look at the value of your time, as well as opportunity cost. If / when profits go back up, good luck getting any cards. And, putting together these rigs and getting them stable takes a while. Whereas, once they're going, you barely have to touch them.

Last edited:

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
Ok blood is in the water but what no one has mentioned with the cumulative knowledge as well as horsepower is creating a STH coin!

We have all supported AEON, Turtle, and ETN. What do they have. What could we add?!!

I started in the field of cryptography in 2002 with the USPS Electronic Postmark. My best friend started the company Bitwise in the RPI incubator and than transformed it to Authentidate Holding Corp. we have been in this for a long time. With tons of contacts!

Google it!

Additionally, my cousin owns a pretty big VC in NorCal and I can get insight as well as capital if the proposition is presented. Azure capital partners.

Again google it. You will like to see the company’s in there portfolio! Especially you VMware Docker fans.

Take a look and see if we collectively have the horsepower and ideas.

A little food for thought!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Godfr33 actually... had an idea... brought to a VC firm in Menlo Park and they said they would be willing to fund the concept.

It was not going to be STH coin, but related. Market winds may have made it less feasible, but I think if we get away from a super bear market like we are in, it will get better.

Godfr33

Jan 20, 2018
@Godfr33 actually... had an idea... brought to a VC firm in Menlo Park and they said they would be willing to fund the concept.

It was not going to be STH coin, but related. Market winds may have made it less feasible, but I think if we get away from a super bear market like we are in, it will get better.

As I see it, a bear market is exactly the time to pounce. We are still years away from acceptance. Albeit the wolves on wall street are ready to run with this and we all know it.

Especially with all of the new open banking laws coming soon.

Heck in 2004-2007 I dealt with NAR (National Association of Realtors) as well as MISMO Index | MISMO regarding digital signatures backed by a trusted third party (USPS) with non-repudiation. They said no one will sign legal documents electronically.

That was a low time for real estate and now Docusign and Authentisign rule the forms creation, transaction management and e-sign real estate vertical. People ask to e-sign exclusively now!

It’s just fodder for a beginning discussion here on the forum.

Hopefully more will come in either public or PM discussions.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
As I see it, a bear market is exactly the time to pounce. We are still years away from acceptance. Albeit the wolves on wall street are ready to run with this and we all know it.

Especially with all of the new open banking laws coming soon.

Heck in 2004-2007 I dealt with NAR (National Association of Realtors) as well as MISMO Index | MISMO regarding digital signatures backed by a trusted third party (USPS) with non-repudiation. They said no one will sign legal documents electronically.

That was a low time for real estate and now Docusign and Authentisign rule the forms creation, transaction management and e-sign real estate vertical. People ask to e-sign exclusively now!

It’s just fodder for a beginning discussion here on the forum.

Hopefully more will come in either public or PM discussions.
Hmm, sounds like a good idea for a new thread : )

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Tough thing about a new ICO, is that it needs to be better than just another "me too" cryptonight coin. How would a STH coin be different?

Reactions: gigatexal

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Sumo is now less profitable than Monero. Turtle is still better but not 2x since it tanked 40%.

The less liquid smaller ones have a fundamental issue @Joel pointed out. If you have a small coin, it is fun when it goes up, but when it goes down it's more profitable to build another one and start over.

Monero is big enough that that's unlikely to happen.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Sumo is now less profitable than Monero. Turtle is still better but not 2x since it tanked 40%.

The less liquid smaller ones have a fundamental issue @Joel pointed out. If you have a small coin, it is fun when it goes up, but when it goes down it's more profitable to build another one and start over.

Monero is big enough that that's unlikely to happen.
I suspect there are quite a few coins out there that are nothing more than pump and dump schemes.

For those unfamiliar, here's a primer:

Pump And Dump