Create your own router/firewall/content filtering/protection for free

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Anyone done this?

-Need Firewall
_need a way to block spam/viruses
-block bittorrent
-block p2p

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Untangle would be what I would first look into. pfSense can do p2p with Snort, but spam filtering is going to be more difficult. Is this for home or for an SMB?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
cisco bought snort (sourcefire) - I suspect there will be a closure of (anything free) coming..

bwillcox

Jan 20, 2013
Tejas
If a real SMB with less than 50 IPs behind the firewall, you could probably load Sophos UTM home edition on your own hardware which would do most of what you want.

Otherwise pfsense, smoothwall or ipcop are probably the best you can do.

-b

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
SMB>>>Small Business
p2p and Bittorrent mitigation might be better accomplished with watching bandwidth logs and client side restrictions. Untangle and Sophos free editions look to fulfill the rest of your requirements with nice UI management.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I recommend Sophos. I use it to do everything you mentioned in my network, plus i like its reverse proxy & WAF features. Its a lot better than forwarding port 80 and 443 into my network.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Also means ClamAV. We can hope cisco wont pull an oracle right?
I don't see the problem... In a few years we will have forgotten what mysql was. :rolleyes:
Also, it takes more than an open source project or two to (re)gain some footprint in the WAF and proxy business, no?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Sophos UTM v9 I believe this is a paid product?
They have a free version for home use that has all of the features and is limited to 50 internal IPs.
There is also a free SMB version that has unlimited IPs but does not have all of the UTM features enabled.