Patrick

Create a Proxmox VE 5.0 All-in-One with Docker

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Patrick submitted a new resource:

Create a Proxmox VE 5.0 All-in-One with Docker - Get KVM virtualization, ZFS/ Ceph storage and Docker (with a GUI) all-in-one setup

This guide has how to create a KVM/ LXC virtualization host that also has Ceph storage and ZFS storage built-in. The same host will also have access to bare metal Docker-ce containers using Portainer as a GUI management.

Video coming soon but I wanted to document the steps:

1. Install Proxmox VE 5.0
2. Make the following sources adjustments so you can update:

To fix this first add the no subscription sources:
Code:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add:
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian...
Read more about this resource...

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
would it be useful to include the napp-it stuff so far? I'm still not seeing a solid use for it as must of the "shareing" stuff will always be broken from what I've seen. It's nice to see basic zpool and zfs info about created objects but nothing more imho on proxmox.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
would it be useful to include the napp-it stuff so far? I'm still not seeing a solid use for it as must of the "shareing" stuff will always be broken from what I've seen. It's nice to see basic zpool and zfs info about created objects but nothing more imho on proxmox.
I think the Docker / Portainer stuff works. The storage management is still something that needs work for a future piece. I tried it out, and need to get it to the point where ZoL + share management works.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
I agree. I'm not sure if we can adapt napp-it to work for our needs or not. Needs more research into share creation/modification and gea code adaptation :D

Cadal

Jul 8, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
It's good but coming from freenas I miss the gui for shares, zfs.

(not a nutanix expert) Nutanix isn't that great in an aio scenario? Seems the erasure encoding is for 3 nodes for storage redundancy. I think the other one is capacity wasteful?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Hey now....if Wiredzone didn't screw up my order...i'd be building this out. The videos you need are on my Youtube channel msvirtualguy.

I have to get my environment up which will not be until next week now, then i'll get with Patrick to see what we can do to provide a simple guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I agree. I'm not sure if we can adapt napp-it to work for our needs or not. Needs more research into share creation/modification and gea code adaptation :D
Napp-it on Linux does not use or modify any SAMBA settings.
It does set the ZFS SMB share property on/off and if SAMBA is configured to honor this a share is enabled.

mad1993max

Jan 27, 2016
I actually run this setup with napp-it just installed it via:

Code:
apt-get install -y samba-common samba nfs-kernel-server perl && cd /~ && wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit  | perl
be careful you have to run a line of code at the first startup of nappit, the installer displays it at the end, I forgot this the first time and was puzzled why it didn’t work

i setup a con job to start nappit on boot with a 60 second delay:

Code:
@reboot sleep 60 && napp-it

I am trying to figure out how to replace the default docker bridge with an existing ovs-switch from proxmox so fare not luck, because I need vlan and I couldn’t get vlan to work with docker-ovs

Larry W.

May 5, 2017
Great article! I have three suggestions that I think will help:

1. In step 2 change the pve-no-subscription to pvetest while this is still in beta. That will insure you are getting the latest updates.
  2. In step 5 add the option --restart always to the command so that on server reboot Portainer is started again.
  3. On step 7 change Proxmox to Docker, as it is Docker you are setting up to restart.
Now if only the Proxmox people would integrate container management right into their GUI, would be the best solution.

Thanks again for putting this together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

dhettinger

Apr 15, 2017
Just checking but as far as setting up portainer within the zfs file system would "/rpool/data/portainer/data" be an ideal location? I just started using Proxmox and after looking at the zfs mount points felt it might be the best option.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
One thing I am wondering about. One universally accepted fact seems to be that ZFS will use as much memory as you throw at it and one way of improving zfs performance is to give it more RAM. In an All-In-One, when using a discrete VM for storage, you control how much memory is allocated to it and you can budget how much RAM you need for your other VMs.

How does this work when ZFS is part of the the hypervisor itself? For example, This is an esxi config I have been running for a few weeks.
1. 4GB - NAPP-IT
2. 2GB - DC/DNS vm
3. 2GB - pfsense
4. 6GB - plex vm

I have allocated 14GB of 16GB available in the host to the VMs. I know that the NAPP-IT VM cannot consume more than 4GB and there will never be a situation where any of the VMs starve for RAM.

How will this work with a PROXMOX setup as decribed in this thread if the ZFS file system is integrated in the host itself? Is there a limit on the memory that the host can consume so that I can guarantee a fixed amount of RAM for the guests?