CPU1 / 2 PCIe slots and bandwidth / population considerations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
On the heels of watching patricks excellent video describing the architectural benefits of the newest AMD EPYC dual cpu platforms, i started wondering if on dual cpu populated Intel based systems (mainly SM x10 and x9 2011 v1/2/3/4 systems), if there is any thought that should be put into which cards go into which CPU X pcie slots.

I couldn't find any answers or questions on this so wanted to ask below-
(however there is this excellent article , for background, that discusses using 1 or 2x cpus on intel based MBs:
https://www.servethehome.com/answered-cpu-dual-processor-motherboard/)

Assume a X9 or X10 MB with 2x cpus installed, 2x HBA cards (LSI 2308 HBAs not Raid/IR) + 1x dual 10g intel x540 card- does it matter at all if i put both HBAs on CPU1 or CPU2 slots, and the 10g card on CPU1 or CPU2 slots? (ie should i be aiming to put all cards on CPU1 slots? or should i split them between CPU1 and CPU2 pcie slots?)

Or should i put all 3x cards on CPU2 slots , as i know the CPU1 is already using up some of its lanes for the onboard sata/sas ports + 4x GBe eth ports?

(or does any of this matter ?) - patricks AMD EPYC video made me think about this, as it seemed, the gist of the video is that newer AMD EPYC Dual CPU platforms have better/more efficient communications channels for CPU1 to CPU2 and CPUX to RAM/pcie communications. (which makes me think that Intel dual CPU inter-cpu comms, i think called "QPI" , isnt as robust thus thought should be applied on PCIe slot population).

any info/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It does a bit. For storage and such, people are less picky on which CPUs to populate. Where you see people these days get very focused on PCIe population it is with GPUs and Mellanox Infiniband HBAs. For that type of communication, going GPU->CPU->UPI->CPU->Infiniband Fabric is significantly slower. For storage, you have bigger media access latencies. In theory, you would be best served by a single CPU with everything attached. In reality, the second socket with more memory and more PCIe expansion tend to be worth it.

If you have two CPUs, there is a 50% chance a process that is running on a given CPU will have to go over QPI/UPI to access the device attached to the other CPU. In a single node system that is a 0% chance. In AMD EPYC "Naples" 1P and Intel 4P it is 75% chance. In AMD EPYC 2P it is an 87.5% chance.

On the 2P Intel server, even if you put everything on one CPU, it then disadvantages compute accessing devices on the second CPU.

Reactions: Evan and james23

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Unless you have a very specific workload like the GPU & Infiniband example Patrick just gave i would not spend another second thinking about it and just put them where it looks good ;)