CPU Price/Performance for KVM Server & H.264 decoding

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
Hi,

I would like to setup a new server with several docker container, KVM virtualization and zoneminder with IP cameras and H.264 encoding.

Now I am struggeling, if I should choose an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (decoding in Software) or Intel Xeon E-2226 (with Quick Sync in Hw)
Or shall I use an AMD with buildin GPU, e.g. Ryzen 5 4600G to use the buildin GPU for decoding?

I am desoriented by the many possibilities
;-)

Does anyone have any idea what will be the best choice or maybe something totally different with ECC support?

Many thanks
Axel

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It probably would help if you add a few further details (user or container/vm/camera count, storage requirements, funds; (rack) space, cooling, noise limits) and so on...

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
  • now around 10 xen containers (dns, dhcp, samba, fhem, webserver, tv recorder, game-server, test enviornments, zoneminder with zmeventnotification with ML, etc.) / I want to migrate these to docker containers and kvm vms in the future.
  • 4 hdds software raid-1/mirroring
  • debian linux
  • noise is no problem, because it will be placed in the basement- I would like to put it in a midi tower with enough cooling for the hdd, and fitting in a nice
  • 1gb networking
  • power consumption is a topic because of environmental protection & waste of money
  • 2x cameras rlc-511 with 5MP and H.264, in the future maybe more

the old server is running since 12 years and the next one should, too ;-)

The importants thing I don't know is, if it makes sense to choose a CPU with buildin decoding or a better cpu like the Ryzen 5 and let the decoding be done within spftware or using a gpu for hardware accels decoding of ffmpeg. I looked around for benchmark difference to find an answer to this question, but couldn't find it.

At the moment I have two setups in mind with ECC support:
Supermicro X11SCL-IF + E2226G + Fractal Design Node 304 = if BMC/IPMI isn't used quick sync available / performance for me unclear

X470D4 + Ryzen 5 3600 + Fractal Design Define R6 = decoding in CPU

Many thanks for offered support!

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
AMD is a bit late to the hardware acceleration party. I mean it might work, but you'll find very little community support and you must feel very Linux source code confident.https://askubuntu.com/questions/1107782/how-to-use-gpu-acceleration-in-ffmpeg-with-amd-radeon

On the other hand ZoneMinder and NVENC had been successfully paired since 2017: Even official documentation mentions NVidia as an option for hardware decode: Getting Started — ZoneMinder documentation
Basically, as long as your GPU supports H.264 decode and FFMPEG also does support for your GPU then you should be fine.

As far as software vs hardware decode - read the forum link above in bold which shows some performance/cpu usage testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hi,

I would like to setup a new server with several docker container, KVM virtualization and zoneminder with IP cameras and H.264 encoding.

Now I am struggeling, if I should choose an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (decoding in Software) or Intel Xeon E-2226 (with Quick Sync in Hw)
Or shall I use an AMD with buildin GPU, e.g. Ryzen 5 4600G to use the buildin GPU for decoding?

I am desoriented by the many possibilities
;-)

Does anyone have any idea what will be the best choice or maybe something totally different with ECC support?

Many thanks
Axel
If it’s a Ryzen APU with Vega graphics you’ll need VAAPI support enabled in ffmpeg for decoding h264 (probably a custom compile if it’s not enabled). Encoding? Not one of the strong suits on the AMD GPUs - Windows only, and the CPU load is still fairly high (tested on Ryzen V1000 but should be fairly representative of current APUs).

Your best option at the moment is a Xeon E-series with a Kaby Lake GPU - which will do both Quicksync h264/265 encode and decode in hardware.

Last edited:

virtuguy

Dec 12, 2019
do you run motion detection with full resolution or do you have so many cameras that it would matter? if you use substreams for motion detecion, i would not see the need for special hardware.

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
do you run motion detection with full resolution or do you have so many cameras that it would matter? if you use substreams for motion detecion, i would not see the need for special hardware.
Yes, I'm using a Sub/Preview stream for motion detection and don't have the challenge with to high load today (still on an old Core™ i5-750). But if invest some money today I want to choose the right system, you never know what comes up in the next future.

From all replies above I assume, that it seems to be the better solution to choose an Intel CPU with hw decode/encode, still if the CPU price/performance benchmark for the other work (non zoneminder) is on AMD better.

If I choose the Supermicro X11SCL-IF mainboard, then I could not use BMC/IPMI but that isn't a big issue.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
Yes, I'm using a Sub/Preview stream for motion detection and don't have the challenge with to high load today (still on an old Core™ i5-750). But if invest some money today I want to choose the right system, you never know what comes up in the next future.

From all replies above I assume, that it seems to be the better solution to choose an Intel CPU with hw decode/encode, still if the CPU price/performance benchmark for the other work (non zoneminder) is on AMD better.

If I choose the Supermicro X11SCL-IF mainboard, then I could not use BMC/IPMI but that isn't a big issue.
You can export just the QSV PCIe and keep the Intel iGPU for the host if you like, so that's not an issue.

I have a E-2278G with X11SCL-F and it's great, although I have had some issues with PERC card compatibility, I just replaced the PERC controller with an ASR-71608 16-port card and it's purring like a kitten.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Maybe my reply was a bit confusing, but I specifically advocate using Nvidia GPU for video offloading. Nothing prevents you from going with AMD CPU and using cheap NVidia GPU for offloading video processing.

Axel71

Jan 23, 2021
Maybe my reply was a bit confusing, but I specifically advocate using Nvidia GPU for video offloading. Nothing prevents you from going with AMD CPU and using cheap NVidia GPU for offloading video processing.
thanks, it seems that I have to choose the AMD, because I can't find a boxed not to expensive Xeon CPU in online shops ...

Do you have a suggestion which NVidia GPU to use?