CPU only mining

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
So I have an E5-2699V3 (18 Cores, 2.3GHz, 45MB Cache) processor that had one of the components on the underside pop off due to a tumble it took. Fortunately, I was able to resolder it back on (kinda ugly) and it ran Prime95 and Memtest over the majority of last week with no issues. I only have one of these processors and I rather not sell it due to its history so I figure I'd put it to work, especially with this offer I recently got. Free electricity! I do need to keep the sound to a minimal however.

I'd like to lay out the minimal amount of purchases to get this started. I have a dual socket Supermicro motherboard, power supply, SSDs and/or hard disks and memory (single 8 Gig module). I'll need to purchase a case that can handle E-ATX but that's about it. I'm leaning towards Aeon over Monero but I'm new to this. Given the hardware I have, what do you think? Any particular way I should set this up given the amount of cores compared to clock speed? I'm a Windows guy but I wouldn't mind using this as a learning experience for Linux.

About how much would this setup make? I'd like to eventually reclaim this dual socket motherboard because I had another task in mind for it down the road and maybe get a cheaper, single socket board for this processor with the funds it earns.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I wish I have E5-2699v3 CPU, it is king of the v3 CPU, but I don't.

I could offer you my dual E5-2683 v3 Aeon hashrate
[2017-12-04 12:31:30] speed 2.5s/60s/15m 3873.1 3882.9 3900.7 H/s max: 3923.7 H/s

XMR hashrate
dual E5-2683 v3 SR1XH prod , L3 Cache 35M , 17 Threads , 9 active cores , 1183 H/s

Your E5-2699 v3 hasrate would be close to my dual E5-25683 v3 hashrate.

It is a great idea to put unused Hardware to work , help to recoup part or all hardware cost.
Especially, with free electricity, it is pure profit.

If you mine with Linux OS, 1gb ram is enough.
For mining purpose, case is optional, just a cardboard sits under the motherboard would be fine.
4-8gb diskspace is all it need.

It is hard to predict the profit, depends on few variables, such as price ,difficulty .
My wild guess would be couple of dollars per day ( free electricity is great ).

The nice thing about is mining, once the miner is setup and tweaked, it just run and run.
I have Linux miners being up since March.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Although I would like to keep the cost down by not purchasing a case, I'll have to get one to protect the hardware. It won't be in a secure location so being exposed would be an issue. I just have to deal with finding a small enough case that can hold an E-ATX board.