CPU + Motherboard ideas for Storage/Plex server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

phred

Jun 23, 2011
My 10 yrs old home server needs to be replaced before it breaks down. When I built it, servethehome.com was on my retinas for months in a row =)

I have never felt my current setup as slow (not CPU or disk performance) but a performance upgrade is always nice =)
Shall I still go for the IBM M1015 + Intel RES2SV240 setup if I find new cards that might last another 10 years?

Current setup (to be replaced/upgraded)
X-Case RM424 chassis - keep this
Tyan S5510GM3NR motherboard - replace
Intel E3-1230v1 CPU - replace
32 Gb ECC Kingston RAM - replace
IBM M1015 (2pcs in IT mode) - replace
Intel RES2SV240 SAS expander - replace

Main usage

Storage
Plex server
1 virtual Hyper-V server (low CPU usage)

Starting point:
My chassis with 24 pcs 3.5" HDD SATA disks (no SAS backplane, only SATA connectors) will be kept. Using Windows Storage Spaces for managing the disks.

Must have:
IPMI
VT-d
32 GB ECC (to start with)
4 DIMM slots
Low end GPU (or better)
24 SATA connections in IT-mode
Raid 1 (for 2pcs 3.5" boot disks)

Nice to have:
Quick Sync

Not important
M.2
>2pcs GbE ports

Important
micro ATX sized motherboard

Which CPU + motherboard setup shall I go for? Are IBM M1015 and Intel RES2SV240 still valid cards?
Any feedback is much appreciated!

Edit: added motherboard size

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
The X10SRL-F is my favorite bargain 2011-3 board!! :)
You can get up to 22 cores and 1TB of ram and they can be found for $150-200 if you're patient.

The v3/v4 Xeon's don't support quicksync, but you can use a cheap single slot Nvidia Quadro card like a P400 and get NVENC :D

PCIe slot layout is pretty slick if you want to fill it up with NIC's, HBA's and bifurcated dual port nvme cards

PCI-E 3.0 x8
PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16 slot)
PCI-E 3.0 x8
PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16 slot)
PCI-E 3.0 x8
PCI-E 3.0 x4 (in x8 slot)
PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8 slot)

The M1015 is still an absolute bargain, but if you're going to hook up SSD's then go with the M1215 :)

phred

Jun 23, 2011
Thanks both @zer0sum and @itronin for your replies! I checked the X10SRL-F and I agree that it seems to be a really nice motherboard. I almost bought one when noticed the size - it's an ATX board. My chassis can only hold a micro ATX board =(

Do you have any suggestions on a smaller board?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why u need so many pcie lanes in the first place? Just to have them?

Why not upgrade to a recent(ish) in the line that you have (e3) ie E3 v6 or even newer? You'd get sufficient lanes, 64GB+, Quicksync and smaller boards. Which board depends on availability and pricing...

Reactions: T_Minus

phred

Jun 23, 2011
Why u need so many pcie lanes in the first place? Just to have them?
Actually I don't.. =) The PCIE lanes was a part of the suggestion for the X10SRL-F board. Probably 3 lanes are enough.

Which brand of board would you start looking for?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
just look for the chipset, eg C236 or C246, whatever gen u want.
Supermicro, Intel, Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte should have matching boards

Reactions: itronin and T_Minus

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
just look for the chipset, eg C236 or C246, whatever gen u want.
Supermicro, Intel, Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte should have matching boards
As I recently learned from @Marsh here and a reddit post. C246 - some of SM boards have ipmi/bmc (look for -f and verify on SM prod page) *and* power up the gpu on the cpu so you can quicksync native, offload that into a vm, docker etc. etc. & still have console! ;-)

• Wow
Reactions: nikalai and Markess

phred

Jun 23, 2011
Thanks guys for you input, very much appreciated! I've had some plumbing issues so I had to pause this upgrade - but now Black Friday is approaching.. =)

Where do you all buy your parts? I'm from Sweden and used to have a good online price agent services for comparing. What are my options in US and EU (+UK)?

I've decided to go for a Xeon E-2246G (or E-2276G or E-2226G) and a Asus WS C246M Pro/SE =)

Reactions: itronin

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Thanks guys for you input, very much appreciated! I've had some plumbing issues so I had to pause this upgrade - but now Black Friday is approaching.. =)

Where do you all buy your parts? I'm from Sweden and used to have a good online price agent services for comparing. What are my options in US and EU (+UK)?

I've decided to go for a Xeon E-2246G (or E-2276G or E-2226G) and a Asus WS C246M Pro/SE =)
STH, Ebay, Reddit, [H]ardForum -- All have good marketplaces for 'used' gear like you're looking for :) eBay and STH will have the most enterprise gear, but the other places I sometimes find deals on too :)

kobold

Aug 6, 2021
As I have the same Chassis with similar requirements I'm curious which motherboard and CPU you have picked. Did you already found one?