CPU & Memory options for X9QRi-F+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shanester

May 18, 2011
I picked up a X9QRi-F+ and need some 'technical' options for CPU and memory to build this out (storage server and running VMs).
Supermicro 4U 848A-R1K62B / X9QRI-F+ / Barebone Server / 24x Trays / Rails | eBay

I have never built out a multi-processor system from scratch. The concerns I have are not regarding 'performance' but configuration options between CPU and memory & cost as I can't afford to max out the CPU/memory at once.

CPU:
I am looking at the E5-4650 or E5-4650v2.
Based upon current budget, I could do 4x E5-4650 or 2x E5-4650v2.
I could add another 2x E5-4650v2 at a later time. I think going with the E5-4650v2 is a better idea based upon more cores/lower TDP/max memory (although not sure if its based on per proct/total procs/arch)
Are there technical implications with this?

Memory:
I would like to start with a minimum of 128GB. So if I started with 2 procs I would have 16 slots.
Using 16GB RDIMMs, I could utilize 8 of the 16 slots with room to upgrade.
1.35v vs 1.5v?
In the case of upgrading memory, are there issues with mixing modules from different vendors IF the specs are the same?
Issues/Concerns/Suggestions?

Thank you!

Last edited:

shanester

May 18, 2011
After reading through the manual, I need further clarification.
Currently there is are no CPUs or memory installed.

CPU
The manual states:
To fully utilize all functionality and features offered by this quad motherboard, be sure to install four CPUs on the motherboard. Without
four CPUs installed onboard, some functions or features might not be supported.

I wish to use E5-4650v2 procs. I can only afford 2 procs at this time. Will this work?
If so, it appears that I would have to install in sockets #1 and #4 as socket #4 controls/powers the onboard LAN ports. Is this assumption correct?

The manual states that BIOS v3.0 or later is required to support E5-4650v2 procs. Since I am unable to determine the current bios version, what are my options if I buy (2) E5-4650v2 procs and the BIOS is less than 3.0 (other than buying a v1 proc to validate bootup)? How else would I upgrade the BIOS to a supported version?

Memory
To start, I plan on using either 128GB (8x16GB) PC3-10600R 1333MHz DDR3 ECC or 128GB (8x16GB) PC3-12800R 1600MHz DDR3 ECC 1.5v RDIMMs, The memory table in the manual (pg 2-14) is confusing to me regarding the slots/dimms per channel (1DPC vs 2DPC vs 3DPC) and am having a 'blond moment' trying to conceptualize.

If my assumptions are true regarding using 2 CPUs in socket #1 & socket #4, may I assume that I would populate the 8 dimms in:
P1-DIMMA1/P1-DIMMB1/P1-DIMMC1/P1-DIMMD1
P4-DIMMN1/P4-DIMMP1/P4-DIMMR1/P4-DIMMT1

Power Supplies
The 848 chassis comes with (3) PWS-1K21P-1R 1200w power supplies, based upon load, will this operate with a single PS?

Thank you for your help! I'm not sure if I bit off more that I can chew, but I don't want to begin purchasing components if they won't work as I expect them to. All newbies have to learn sometime ;)

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
The one I ordered came with latest bios and everything reset to defaults. You can upgrade BIOS over IPMI without CPU if yours comes with an older version. The defaults are DHCP and ADMIN/ADMIN (all caps).

Memory population looks correct.

Should run fine on 1 PS. Make sure to do staggered spin up if you fill all 24 drive bays. I'm using mine with 2 PS since I have 2 UPSes. You have to pull out the unused ones, it'll have an annoying beep if you don't. Replace with CSE-PT0130L blank panels. Bonus points if you drill the blank for a 2.5" SSD since there's nowhere to mount one.

shanester

May 18, 2011
The one I ordered came with latest bios and everything reset to defaults. You can upgrade BIOS over IPMI without CPU if yours comes with an older version. The defaults are DHCP and ADMIN/ADMIN (all caps).

Memory population looks correct.

Should run fine on 1 PS. Make sure to do staggered spin up if you fill all 24 drive bays. I'm using mine with 2 PS since I have 2 UPSes. You have to pull out the unused ones, it'll have an annoying beep if you don't. Replace with CSE-PT0130L blank panels. Bonus points if you drill the blank for a 2.5" SSD since there's nowhere to mount one.
I was able to reset the BMC and validate that the BIOS is at 3.0a. No need to drill holes...Just add bracket (MCP-220-00044-0N) to the peripheral drawer.

Do you know if this will run with dual proc's in #1 and #4 or do I need to buy 4 procs at once?

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
2 procs is definitely supported in the manual, but I don't know if there's a requirement that they be in slots 1 and 2 or if you can do 1 and 4.