CPU Cooling 2011(-3) - 4U Passive or Active

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
I am in need of dual cooling solutions for my newly acquired E5-2650v1's
-- This setup will end up in a Norco 4224 (~150mm HSF height limit) that resides in a bedroom - IE quietness is important

I originally ordered Intel AUPSRCBTP via Amazon(au) for ~$65AUD (Mid March), but naturally, they only sent 1 instead of the described Pair
-- I have confirmed with Intel that the above part number is absolutely a Pair
-- My Amazon funds were refunded thankfully while keeping the single unit - I managed to buy some fan springs and a 92mm fan will work with it (albeit the spring is very tight)

Since then I have been trying to get my hands on another order - so far ETA has been 6 June, 22 June, 23 June, 7 July.. and is now 21 July
- I have doubts that this will materialise ever

I believe another Intel alternative is the AUPCWPBTP but I am not certain this part number only refers to a Pair, or single
-- looking at internet pictures attaching a fan doesn't look to be possible
Does anyone have experience with this model? Vs the above model

I'm not familiar with passive units, especially in a case that will be aimed for quietness (3x 120mm slowed Noctuas or Arctic F12)

Looking at most other brand alternatives looks to be double the cost at a minimum - eg U9S or P0050AP4

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't have any experience with norco (or their derivatives) chassis, but with supermicro.
Without a fan on the heatsink all the other fans will run at higher rpms causing more noise. Active heatsinks provided the best results for cooling and noise.
(On supermicro chassis you can get even better results with an airshroud and 2u active heatsinks)

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
I have a couple Noctua U9s in 4u chassis, as you mentioned them. If you want quiet they are likely your best option if you're willing to she'll out for them.

Reactions: GoofyHSK