Counterfeit/Display Intel 750 From Amazon- FYI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
The other day I was browsing around on Intel's site and noticed 1.2TB 750's listed "from $399". Same location pictured in this (current) screenshot, but $100 less:

Curious, I clicked the link which took me to Amazon.com offering a "New" drive from a third party seller (Milky-Way shop).. After a scan through the product description and Amazon refund policy, I pulled the trigger just for grins. When the package arrived there was obviously something awry; far too light. Digging a little deeper, what I received appears to be some kind of empty display shell. See pics below:

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Amazon has become the ebay of shady sellers.
Yep. Big changes coming to Amazon.
Right now it's the wild west like ebay was in the late 90s and all the JUNK that people were selling/passing off as "good" quality stuff...

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Is this from shipped and sold by Amazon or a 3rd party seller?
based on OP first post
from a third party seller (Milky-Way shop)

Side note: I had a situation where I order memory from amazon warehouse used and someone took the memory out of the heat spreader and replaced it with 1gb memory. The kit was for 64 GB DDR3 Ram. Last time i trust buying from warehouse or 3rd party on amazon. I did get my money back, but it lack of checking on Amazon part was an eye opener.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
A while back I bought my kid a 1070 from Amazon through Prime. My kid gets all excited (he is 9) and starts tearing through the box while I am watching the final Game of Thrones, I was not really paying much attention. He opens up his pc and plugs it in and says dad something is wrong. I start looking at the video card, first the plastic case that it comes in was smashed to shit on a corner, then if you looked hard at the corner where the plastic was smashed you could see the heat spreader equally dented. Finally when you looked at the back where the serial sticker usually goes, there was sticker but it had someones handwriting on it. The outer shipping box had no signs of damage though. I have bought a ton of stuff through Amazon for years but this is the first time someone tried to pass a refurb as a new video card. They of course sent me a new card asap but it did not help that my son tore apart the retail cardboard box. He didn't do the damage the card had though. I refuse to buy video cards from Frys now because miners will snatch them up, mine on them for a while and return em.

Anyway... re: Op. Yeah that is insane... Kinda funny but still. :(

Reactions: Stux

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Just wanted to add that the seller handled the situation really well. Contacted me directly, requested pictures, and immediately refunded my money waiving the need to return the item.

Reactions: K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Just wanted to add that the seller handled the situation really well. Contacted me directly, requested pictures, and immediately refunded my money waiving the need to return the item.
I doubt a return would have been of any use. It would have just been a waste of money shipping it. Unless he needed it to bang some heads in his supply chain.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Unless he needed it to bang some heads in his supply chain.

Were the roles reversed, I would have insisted upon its return.

..A pink shoelace and a little strategic highlighting around "Display Only" ....I can see it now, "The Lanyard of Shame":p

Last edited:
Reactions: K D