Could this be a cheaper serial console server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tigweld0101

Apr 18, 2015
I saw the earlier discussion on the SM Quark boxes. One just popped up on my Amazon: Amazon.com: Supermicro Server Barebone System SYS-E100-8Q: Computers & Accessories

Only 2.2w but dual serial ports, dual LAN and dual USB ports.

I wonder if you could turn these into a serial console server? That Lantronix xDirect is almost as expensive but only does one machine. The Quark has more I/O so you'd just need an OS and a way to config. I think that's a big part of what Quark is for and at 2.2w you'd probably even be able to make it highly portable with a big $30 external battery.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
for serial console server why not look at the Digi CM units? I have a CM32 at home and it works well and they are cheap to pick up. You can get units with anywhere from 8 to 48 serial console ports

Reactions: NetWise

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
And the 32 and 48's are going to be considerably cheaper than 8 or 16 due to supply. I have a few of each and for $40-50 USD can't go wrong. Do need the Rj45-DB9 converters for DB9 devices but even those are cheap.