Could anyone do me a favor? I need the SBR file for a SAS 3008 RAID/HBA card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
Specifically I need the IT Mode SBR file for the LSI 9300 8i HBA card.

I bought two of these cards (Fujitsu D3307-A12), afterwards I realized they have the RAID firmware configuration and not the IT/HBA firmware.

Im going through this very detailed guide but the guy doesnt provide any of the programs or data files he uses in the tutorial.

I found most of what I need, except for the megarec.exe (must be minimum version 01.02-020 Aug 04, 2015)
and the specific "Serial Boot Record" (SBR) data file for a SAS 3008 LSI 9300 8i card configured with IT mode firmware.

I already found this IT mode firmware on broadcoms website but I need this specific SBR file.

If anyone has a SAS 3008 LSI 9300 8i card in IT mode that can pull that SBR file from, I would be very grateful.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I have that card cross-flashed to LSI IT firmware. If you can't get the SBR anywhere else, let me know and I'll grab a copy.

I had issues getting the card flashed, as it needs sas3flash and megarec, and I couldn't get sas3flash to work in any mode (DOS, EFI, Windows) on my X11 board. I had to flash on an X9 board. I have that X9 board that I can use to dump the SBR.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
@nabsltd
Thank you so much. Ill reach out to you if that SBR file doesnt work for me.

I spent the better part of my morning trying to get a NTVDMx64 emulator working on my x64 windows 10 installation because the megarec software aparently is a 16 bit application. Needless to say I learned a whole lot about building the windows NT emulation software, but in the end it didnt work for me and kept saying the software wasn't installed when it clearly was.

Needless to say im installing free-dos on a USB stick right now like a normal person.

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
@nabsltd
Hey, does your megarec tool happen to be from august 4 2015? I think mine is incompatible (its from 2014) with this Fujisu LSI card (see picture) image0.jpeg

And when I ran "megarec.exe -adplist"

It told me my card is type: 3308 and not 3008 like I was expecting. I think it might be a software issue and I need the most recent (or at least aug 4 2015) version of megarec.

The cards I bought were LSI 3008, not 3308? idk where 3308 came from

*EDIT*
I messed up here. I tried the SBR flash with the firmware. Big goof. I went back and successfuly flashed the CP400i SBR file.

Last edited:

filedotzip

Nov 27, 2022
So I googled what was going on for me. I figured out that apparently "Chip is in FUSION mode" means the card is already in IT Mode.
wrong^

Which helps me skip a step I guess. Now all I need to do is use sas3flash to flash the HBA/IT-mode firmware on it.

So I proceeded by using my megarec (which i think is actually working) to run "megarec.exe -cleanflash 0" erasing the firmware to get it ready for the IT-mode firmware.

The sas3flsh.exe utility didnt work for me on the rufus freeDOS (nov 28 2022), it said "failed to initialize pal" and wouldnt go any further.

So I obtained the sas3flash for x64 systems from broadcom

[zip] 9300_8i_Package_P16_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

and ill be using this and the IT mode firmware in this file to flash my card on windows 10

*edit add*
Unfortunatly on my windows 10 machine with the x64 sas3flash, it doesnt even recognize the controller is attached to my system. I need to approach this problem from a different angle

Last edited: