Cost effective chassis suggestions for dual EPYC build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

compgeek89

Mar 2, 2019
My thought has been that I would put an H11DSi in perhaps a CSE-826? Quiet operation is very desired so I would probably go with SQ PSUs, though price would beat out quiet in the end (i.e. I don't have $1000 to spend on the chassis). I see there are SAS1,2,3 backplanes along with some pass throughs -- is there any reason I would want a pass through instead of a SAS2/3? I am also not sure if there's a reason I should care about SAS3 since it seems like most parts, especially in my price range, would be in the SAS2 category.

I am also willing to consider a Dell or other chassis, not necessarily partial to SuperMicro, I just like the modularity/future change and upgrade potential with something like a CSE-826. If I get something by another vendor it seems like I'll need to find a specific board either already in it, or to go in it.

I am also willing to go way outside the box (throw it in a wooden crate!), so if there are other options out there that are unconventional, that's fine, too!

Appreciate any insight, and if I'm missing anything, don't hesitate to throw that in as well. Thanks.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Provided you're not attached to a rack mounted enclosure, the Define 7 XL seems pretty solid. Compatible with large boards, good number of large fan mounts, plenty of drive bays, and reasonably affordable. Probably more livable than a CSE-826 if you don't have a dedicated room (and if you want quiet you probably don't).

If you do want something rack mounted, it might be worth checking out Sliger's recent offerings, provided you don't have huge storage needs. Quality will be exceptional and they'll be easier to quiet, as they take standard 120mm fans.

Reactions: compgeek89

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I have a D7XL, AWESOME case.

...if you're not water cooling that is. If so, there are much better choices out there.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
825/826 can be super cheap, and with SQ PSU or smaller non-redundant like 563-1H, can be really quiet. Replace the fan wall with quieter 80mm fans. Don't tune the fan curve too low, though. The advantage of the TQ or A backplanes is it's pretty rare to find an 825/826 with SAS3 expander backplane; getting one separately isn't too pricey, but it is still an added expense. Rails unfortunately never seem to go on sale.

This is an 826 from eSISO in California; the included PSUs are DC 48v, but the PDB should support 920SQ et al. Can't tell, but it's probably a SAS2 EL1 backplane.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
825/826 can be super cheap, and with SQ PSU or smaller non-redundant like 563-1H, can be really quiet. Replace the fan wall with quieter 80mm fans. Don't tune the fan curve too low, though.
yes. there are more than a couple of threads discussing the quietness of SM psu's as well as overall threads on techniques to quiet them down besides just replacing the psu's with SQ.

this is a VERY GOOD, SOLID platform.

The advantage of the TQ or A backplanes is it's pretty rare to find an 825/826 with SAS3 expander backplane; getting one separately isn't too pricey, but it is still an added expense.
If you go the route of swapping the backplane, take a look for "-N4" backplanes, sometimes not listed as that so you have to look in the pictures for 4 white SFF-8643 connectors on the left hand side of the backplane (non drive side). I have not seen an 825 variant of -N4 backplanes though.

This is a hybrid backplane supporting up to 4 u.2 (yeah gen 3) nvme drives and up to 12 SAS or SATA drives (minus the number of u.2 you deploy). I think this is a best of both worlds. for the 826 I've seen them in direct and single expander. they can be a little pricey but periodically they show up around ~115-120USD. Direct: BPN-SAS3-826A-N4 (make sure it has the connectors, this backplane is on fleabay right now missing the connectors) and Expander: BPN-SAS3-826EL1-N4. Similar hybrid configuration is also available for CSE-216 as well as the 1U multi-bay SM's.

A backplane swap in an 826 is really easy. If you buy a backplane without a frame, just take the frame off your existing backplane and move it. I have not seen 826 frame / backplanes that weren't hole compatible. that said there could be some REALLY OLD 826's out there which are.

826B and 826C variants are newest and support rear 2xSFF hot swap bay in SATA/SAS, using SATA connectors and U.2 NVME.

Rails unfortunately never seem to go on sale.
if you are NOT going to work on the server in the rack then static rails are inexpensive compared to the SM ones (NEW) - they are cumbersome to install - which you really are only doing once . I personally do not like them but that is an option. Used SM rails are a crapshoot. May have been fine at seller but shipped get mangled. If you can afford it ~$100USD shipped last I looked then buy NEW SM rails or look for servers that include SM rails and ask seller how they package rails in server box to make a determination if you think they'll get bent. Bent outer rails are going to be hard to fix cold forge and unless you are skilled difficult to reshape without losing temper using heat.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Pass-through is more cables, more HBA ports, and some HBAs don't like them (though the onboard controllers are almost always fine).

Try to buy a newer one that has the rear window for the extra drive bays. This keeps your upgrade paths open, so you can add a 2x SAS/SATA or NVMe drive cage later, without paying $200+ for the front NVMe backplane. You *can* hack these into an old one, but it's harder and more expensive.

There's also a variant that has another internal 4x 3.5" drive backplane if you want even more drives.

compgeek89

Mar 2, 2019
Thank you so much for all the helpful responses. I'm not at all tied to a rack-mount form factor. The Define 7 XL is definitely an intriguing option -- what should I be looking for in a PSU to support a server platform if I go for a case like that? The primary advantage I see with something like a CSE-826 is the availability of, relatively, cheap, quiet PSUs in the SQ series. They're more expensive than the other CSE PSUs, but they're really cheap compared to a good standard desktop PSU of similar wattage.

It does seem like, with a CSE chassis, I'd have to buy a SAS3 backplane separately. I figured my options were to either just get a SAS2 equipped chassis, or get a cheaper SAS1 and purchase the SAS3 backplane.

compgeek89

Mar 2, 2019
I managed to find one of the newer CSE-826 chassis with the rear 2.5 bays and SAS3. Now I have to figure out my RAID setup and how to use the rear bays effectively... among other things. Thanks again for the help here.