Correct DDR4 RAM Speed for E5-2696V4 OEM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Hi Guys,

I just bought a Xeon E5-2696V4 OEM CPU which I am going to run on a Asus X99 Deluxe II motherboard (as I heard it benchmark's quite good).

My previously builds were running Xeon E5-2683V3 OEM CPUs on the Asus X99 Deluxe I motherboard.

For that processor it was a simple thing to look up the correct RAM at ark.intel.com, which turned out to be 2133 mhz max.

For this chip, the only CPU listed at ark.intel.com is the E5-2699V4, which I gather is the same apart from running 145w TDP compared to 150w TDP; the E5-2696V4 being the OEM version of the retail E5-2699V4.

1) Should I just use the advice on RAM speed as given for the E5-2699V4? eg: DDR4 1600 / 1866 / 2133 / 2400 speeds?

2) Will non-ECC RAM work on the Deluxe II for the E5-2696V4, as it does on the Deluxe I for the E5-2683V3?

3) Was I right to buy the Deluxe II to run the E5-2696V4? eg: were there other single processor mobos that could have done better results?

4) Does anyone have any other advice or comments that I should be aware of when going from V3 to V4 Xeons, or Asus Deluxe I to the Deluxe II?

Thanks for any help this matter.

If anyone is interested I bought the CPU from HWTrade-e for around £880.

Intel Xeon E5-2696 V4 SR2J0 22Core 2.2GHz 150W 55MB LGA2011-3 Processor CPU | eBay

lni

Aug 20, 2017
1) yes
2) unless I am totally wrong, regular non-ECC ram should work on all X99 mb with such E5 processor
3) I paid $300 for my brand new dual socket X10DAI and decided not to buy those overpriced consumer mb any more
4) could you please check and post your core temperature, both at idle and fully loaded, mine was stupidly low like 25 degrees at idle/50 when fully loaded on air.

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Thank you Ini.

When the processor arrives, which won't be for a few weeks yet, I will post temps. My 83's run at 50c and 65c fully loaded, dependent on which heatsink/fan is being used.

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Thank you for your advice Nanotech its much appreciated.

--

I was not going to say anything re consumer vs server/workstation boards, however now the discussion has started I should get my 4p (5c) worth!

The reason I went with (another) Used X99 Deluxe and not a server/workstation motherboard was for a few different reason, some already mentioned by Nanotech

By cost, I course mean UK cost as that is where I am based. However perhaps some of it also translates also to the US as well. (I am not sure where others are from).

1) Cost. Dual processor server/workstations are always more expensive used than consumer boards. We have picked up Deluxe I for £100, and Deluxe II for £150; most server boards even used are coming in over £250

2) Dual motherboards always, so I understand, require EEC memory, unlike the X99 Deluxe which does not. ECC DDR4 is expensive when compared to Non-ECC

3) The reason I went with a single processor board is it only needs one EPS power cable and hence you can bring down costs on the PSU you will need. As we know most of the Corsair products with 2x EPS cables are more expensive.

4) Many consumer boards, such as the X99 Deluxe has a form factor of ATX ,which leaves plenty of room for airflow within the 3U/4U server cases.

5) In defense of the X99 Deluxe; it is a great mobo and comes with some excellent additions. Q Connector, Fan hub, M2 Card, Extenal WIFI 'dongle card', built in blue-tooth, a large number of PCIE slots, which due to the Xeons 40 PCIE lanes becomes pretty useful.

The truth is all our machines do is run a single application 24 hours a day, 365 days per year continuous. They house a single HD (non-SSD), and need very little RAM (16Gb). Therefore many of the features a worksation/server motherboard would offer just would not be needed in our setup.

lni

Aug 20, 2017
chriscambridge, based on what I saw online, I think most people are using those E5 on ebay to build single socket system with consumer mb. In fact, there are more and more people building ITX E5. :)

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
We run a couple of Pascal GPUs in our racks so we quite like ATX/E-ATX/EEB boards.

The CPU arrived in 2 days from China; I should be doing the build tomorrow using an Arctic CPU Cooler, one of the only ones I had find that would fit a 4u Case and that could handle 150w TDP.

I will post the temps probably this weekend. I have no idea what Arctic CPU Coolers are like and what temps it will achieve.