Coral TPU, how to install?

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Since the TPU chips are tiny, looking at the picture of the dual-TPU M.2 card I suspect the larger chips are some sort of PCIe bridge or switch chips. That would allow the card to split the lanes itself, without help from the host system. I can't imagine it would be possible to 'auto-sense' the need for bifurcation and then split the lanes on the host side.
That could be very well possible. i only know what i know. and i don't what i don't. And in this case, i simply know it works. Just not the how.

And if needed, there's always makersfab: GitHub - magic-blue-smoke/Dual-Edge-TPU-Adapter: Dual Edge TPU Adapter to use it on a system with single PCIe port on m.2 A/B/E/M slot

Last edited:

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
... so i'm geussing its auto sensing the bifurcation need? i donno. ...
(I'm very prejudiced toward "knowing", and not "guessing" ... :) )
Could you please issue the following command both at a shell prompt in Unraid itself, and at a shell prompt in your Ubuntu VM:
sudo lspci -nnvv -d1ac1: | grep -e 1ac1 -e LnkCap: -e LnkSta: > UnrOut.txt (in Unraid)
and
sudo lspci -nnvv -d1ac1: | grep -e 1ac1 -e LnkCap: -e LnkSta: > UbuOut.txt (in Ubuntu)
and Attach both files to your reply.
[Note that those are "one's" (vs ell's) in 1ac1]

Thank you.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
(I'm very prejudiced toward "knowing", and not "guessing" ... :) )
Could you please issue the following command both at a shell prompt in Unraid itself, and at a shell prompt in your Ubuntu VM:
sudo lspci -nnvv -d1ac1: | grep -e 1ac1 -e LnkCap: -e LnkSta: > UnrOut.txt (in Unraid)
and
sudo lspci -nnvv -d1ac1: | grep -e 1ac1 -e LnkCap: -e LnkSta: > UbuOut.txt (in Ubuntu)
and Attach both files to your reply.
[Note that those are "one's" (vs ell's) in 1ac1]

Thank you.
Ran the commands. Both in the ubuntu VM as in unraid. both create a file without content?

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Ran the commands. Both in the ubuntu VM as in unraid. both create a file without content?
That is disappointing. And, surprising, since you had written (earlier):
What i mean is, that the dual edge tpu recognizes both tpu's individually while on the same slot.
so i'm geussing its auto sensing the bifurcation need? i donno.
Or, maybe, just maybe, the sudo was harmful (and not just superfluous) ...

From the Coral developers (at [Link]) :
Once rebooted, verify that the accelerator module is detected:
lspci -nn | grep 089a
You should see something like this:
03:00.0 System peripheral: Device 1ac1:089a
The 03 number and System peripheral name might be different, because those are host-system specific, but as long as you see a device listed with 089a then you're okay to proceed.
So, assuming you have (at least one) Coral TPU device installed (physically), and functional (visible on the PCIe bus), please do:
lspci -nnvv -d:089a | grep -e 089a -e LnkCap: -e LnkSta: > UnrOut.txt (in Unraid)
and
lspci -nnvv -d:089a | grep -e 089a -e LnkCap: -e LnkSta: > UbuOut.txt (in Ubuntu)

I hope we can figure this out -- thanks for hanging in ...

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
That is disappointing. And, surprising, since you had written (earlier):
Sorry it took a bit.
Code:
Ubuntu VM:
lspci -nnvv -d:089a | grep -e 089a -e LnkCap: -e LnkSta:
05:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU [1ac1:089a] (prog-if ff)
        Subsystem: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU [1ac1:089a]

Unraid:
03:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU [1ac1:089a] (prog-if ff)
        Subsystem: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU [1ac1:089a]
                LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x1
It seems... its only detecting 1 tpu... darn. Time to order the 2 pci lane adapter from makersfab...