Cooling the X11SDV-8C-TP8F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SUBNET192

Dec 14, 2019
I just bought two of these motherboards to build a small VSAN environment for home lab purposes. Finally got all the parts in today, I assemble everything and power it up. 2 mins in: CPU @ 105 degrees...

So I take it apart, change the thermal paste and move a fan to blow on the side of the CPU and I got it down to 95 degrees... so obviously not good enough.

What are good solutions? I want to order something off amazon hopefully so I get it tomorrow and finish building this thing.

Thanks!

Marc

Colby Burkett

Jan 19, 2020
I have one of these too. I've been toying with options, but I've not seen it anywhere close to that hot. Is that C or F? Right now, with ~30% CPU load, per ESXi (10 VMs running), it's 48C with just a 50mm fan blowing on it. Stock heatsink and paste at the moment.

I have begun machining my own modification of a larger, all copper heat sink. The holes are bored, but need to cut down the fins next (tomorrow? Jan 25, 2020). Once done with that, I'll change it all out and have TG Kryonaut paste, 4 x 40mm fans ducted into and over it. If that doesn't do the job, I'll be adding heat pipes to transfer some of the heat to the rear corner where I can evac additional heat fairly easily.

I'll post pix when I am done....

Reactions: Scott Vinick